About This Chapter
Praxis: Housing and Interior Design - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to grow in your understanding of interior design as you get ready for the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences test. These lessons are prepared by qualified family and consumer science experts. After you've studied this chapter, you'll be ready to do the following on the test:
- Identify elements of modern architecture
- Explain the concept of interior design
- Describe various styles of interior design
- Provide examples of color schemes and space planning
- Define different types of housing options, including those for older adults
- Analyze the factors that affect the selection of housing and community environments
- Comment on environmentally friendly building materials
In addition to reviewing using the engaging videos and short transcripts, you can take short lesson quizzes to check your knowledge of the most important concepts. You are sure to be engaged while preparing with these materials.
1. Modern Architecture: Characteristics & Style
Architecture comes in many different styles with different characteristics. This lesson is about the style of modern architecture and how to identify modern buildings.
2. What is Residential Interior Design?
Interior design is a very important part of architecture. However, just as there are multiple kinds of buildings, there are multiple kinds of design. In this lesson, we'll talk about residential interior design and see how it is used to define interior spaces.
3. Interior Decorating: Definition, Styles & Tips
Are you interested in interior decorating, but unsure what it entails? In this lesson, we define interior decorating and discuss some decorating styles and tips.
4. Interior Design & Color Schemes
Color schemes in interior design are used to create cohesion in a single space or building. Learn more about what factors are used to build a strong palette in design.
5. Interior Design & Space Planning
Space planning is fundamental to interior design. In this lesson, you'll learn why space planning is important, what it means and involves, and how the process works within the phases of design.
6. Types of Housing: Overview & Examples
Everybody lives somewhere. Some live in a house while others live in an apartment. But did you know that you can actually live in a house by purchasing stocks from housing cooperatives? Learn about this and other types of housing in this lesson.
7. Factors Affecting Housing Selection
When looking for a place to live, would you rather rent or buy? This lesson covers some of the many factors that affect whether people decide to rent or buy a home or apartment.
8. Housing, Neighborhood, & Community Environments
In this lesson, we highlight three main components of a person's environment and look at how older adults are affected by variations in these elements, including the impact of friends and neighbors.
9. Housing Options for Older Adults
In this lesson, we will discuss where a person can choose to live as their needs change in their older years. We will look at the options available and the factors that influence a person's decision.
10. Environmentally Friendly Building Materials & Products
Being environmentally friendly is a hot topic these days. We'll take a look at this with respect to building materials in this lesson. At the end, you should have a good understanding of this relevant topic.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Family & Consumer Sciences (5122): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis: Families & Relationships
- Praxis: Human Development
- Praxis: Early Childhood Education
- Praxis: Financial Literacy
- Praxis: Individual & Family Resources
- Praxis: Careers & Consumer Education
- Praxis: Food Science & Safety
- Praxis: Culinary Arts
- Praxis: Nutrition
- Praxis: Wellness & Dietary Guidelines
- Praxis: Textiles, Fashion & Apparel
- Praxis: Family & Consumer Science Education
- Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Flashcards