About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Algebra - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides an overview of algebra, including how to solve different types of math problems using algebraic expressions. The lessons are designed to help you answer algebra questions on the Praxis I Math test. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Translate words to algebraic expressions
- Express relationships as algebraic expressions
- Evaluate and simplify algebraic expressions
- Work with equivalent expressions and fraction notations
- Solve word problems with algebraic expressions using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Define and give examples of a linear relationship
- Explain the different types of Venn diagrams in math
Our courses are taught by experts in their fields, ensuring that you receive a quality education. Use the quizzes throughout the lessons to test your knowledge of the chapter. A comprehensive quiz is also available at the end of the chapter.
1. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
5. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
6. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Addition Expressions
After going over this lesson, you will be able to solve addition word problems. You will know how to write an algebraic expression that you can solve to find your answer.
7. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Subtraction Expressions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems that involve writing out algebraic expressions. Learn what words to look for to help you solve your problem quickly and easily.
8. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Multiplication Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems that involve the multiplication operation. Learn how to write your expression and then how to solve the expression to find your answer.
9. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Division Expressions
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to solve word problems that involve the division operator. Learn how to set up your word problem and write an appropriate algebraic expression that you can solve.
10. What Are Venn Diagrams in Math? - History, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what Venn diagrams are in math. You will also learn the history behind them and will be given the different types illustrated with examples. Following this lesson will be a brief quiz to test your knowledge.
11. Linear Relationship: Definition & Examples
Learn how beautifully simple linear relationships are and how easy they are to identify. Discover how you can see them in use in the world around you on an everyday basis and why they are useful. At the end of the lesson, test yourself with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5733): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: Integers, Fractions & Decimals
- Praxis I Math: Percents
- Praxis I Math: Rates
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Whole Numbers
- Praxis I Math: Solving Real-Life Problems
- Praxis I Math: Units, Conversion & Measurements
- Praxis I Math: Data & Statistics
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Basic Operations
- Praxis I Math: Linear & Quadratic Equations
- Praxis I Math: Geometry
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards