About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Categorical and Quantitative Data
The lessons in this chapter are intended to help you learn more about categorical and quantitative data as well as data interpretation as you study for the Praxis I Math test. Video lessons concentrate on:
- The basics of quantitative data
- Statistical analysis with categorical data
- Summaries of categorical data using tables
- Predictions and estimates from categorical data
- Two-way tables
- Linear model interpretation
Your video instructors will carefully dissect each topic in the chapter and give you tips on how to best use the information you learn on the actual exam. Your instructors will also use a variety of teaching approaches so that your lessons will remain interesting. This is also a good way to see just how prepared you are for the skills test.
Praxis I: Math Categorical and Quantitative Data Course Objectives
The overall goal of the Praxis Math test is to focus on central mathematical ideas as well as gauge your ability to reason and solve problems in a quantitative context. Lessons are designed to prepare you for the data analysis and probability portion of the exam, which makes up roughly 25% of the full exam. There are roughly 12 multiple choice questions on the Praxis I about data analysis and probability for which you'll have 75 minutes to finish along with all of the other questions on the exam. You will not be allowed to use a calculator while completing the exam.
By completing the quizzes, you'll get a first-hand glimpse at how questions are formatted on the test in addition to getting a more concrete idea about how well you're able to use the information you're learning on the actual exam.
1. What is Quantitative Data? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to find out the difference between saying you have seven apples and saying that those apples are delicious. You will learn about quantitative data and why it is useful.
2. Statistical Analysis with Categorical Data
Learn why percentages are so important when analyzing categorical data in this video lesson. Watch as the data is turned into a data table and a visual bar graph as ways to analyze the data.
3. Summarizing Categorical Data using Tables
Watch this video lesson to find out why data tables are an excellent way to summarize your categorical data. Learn what you need to do to your data before constructing a table and the two ways you can show your data.
4. Make Estimates and Predictions from Categorical Data
Categorical data can be estimated but not predicted. Learn why in this video lesson along with how to read and gather information from a bar graph of categorical data.
5. What is a Two-Way Table?
Do you believe in Martians? Do you watch football on television? A Two-Way Table or Contingency Table is a great way to show the results of all kinds of survey questions. In this video we will learn how to read a two-way table.
6. Writing & Evaluating Real-Life Linear Models: Process & Examples
You make decisions about budgeting and other financial issues using linear models without even realizing it. Learn how to write and evaluate linear models.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5732): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: The Real Number System
- Praxis I Math: Square Roots and Exponents
- Praxis I Math: Ratio and Proportions
- Praxis I Math: Algebraic Expressions
- Praxis I Math: Equations and Inequalities
- Praxis I Math: Functions
- Praxis I Math: Congruence and Similarity
- Praxis I Math: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Praxis I Math: Circles
- Praxis I Math: Geometric Measurement and Dimension
- Praxis I Math: Basic Statistics and Probability
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards