About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Congruence and Similarity - Chapter Summary
Your video instructors will break down each lesson in this chapter while offering you tips on how you can best use the information you learn on the Praxis. Lessons will be taught through a variety of learning approaches so that you can be fully prepared for the Praxis I and so that your lessons don't become one-dimensional and uninteresting.
The chapter is intended to help you better understand congruence, properties of shapes and similarity in addition to related topics, such as:
- Properties of congruent and similar shapes
- Identifying similar triangles
- Applying scale factors to perimeter, area and volume of similar figures
- Applications of similar triangles
- Shifting graphs on a plane
Congruence and Similarity Course Objectives
The overall goal of the Math exam is to gauge the mathematical concepts and skills that an adult with a degree might need as well as their ability to reason and solve problems in a quantitative context. This course covers information found on the geometry and measurement section of the test, which is roughly 22.5% of the exam. Usually there are 10 multiple choice geometry and measurement questions on the exam. You'll have 75 minutes to complete all 46 questions on the exam. You will not be allowed to use a calculator on the Praxis I Math test.
As you complete the self-assessment quizzes, you'll start to have a better idea of the types of questions you'll be answering on the exam and how well you can use the testing methods you've learned.
1. Properties of Shapes: Rectangles, Squares and Rhombuses
What's the difference between a square and a rectangle? What about a rhombus and a square? In this lesson, we'll look at the properties of these shapes.
2. Properties of Shapes: Quadrilaterals, Parallelograms, Trapezoids, Polygons
Four-sided objects are more than just squares and rectangles. In this lesson, we'll discuss quadrilaterals, parallelograms and trapezoids. We'll also discuss polygons, objects that can have more sides than you can count.
3. Properties of Congruent and Similar Shapes
In this lesson, we'll look at triangles, rectangles and other shapes that share properties. This includes both congruent and similar shapes. We'll also practice identifying the missing properties of these shapes.
4. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
5. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
6. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
7. Applying Scale Factors to Perimeter, Area, and Volume of Similar Figures
How do shapes change sizes yet retain their proportions and similarities to other shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at what a scale factor is and how to apply it. We'll consider scale factors with regards to three different aspects of similar shapes: perimeter, area and volume.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5732): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: The Real Number System
- Praxis I Math: Square Roots and Exponents
- Praxis I Math: Ratio and Proportions
- Praxis I Math: Algebraic Expressions
- Praxis I Math: Equations and Inequalities
- Praxis I Math: Functions
- Praxis I Math: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Praxis I Math: Circles
- Praxis I Math: Geometric Measurement and Dimension
- Praxis I Math: Basic Statistics and Probability
- Praxis I Math: Categorical and Quantitative Data
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards