About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Linear and Quadratic Equations - Chapter Summary
This chapter explains how to solve linear and quadratic equations as you prepare for the Praxis I Math test. It also show you how to write equations with one variable. At the end of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain what a linear equation is
- Write and solve equations with one variable using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Define and give examples of quadratic equations
Our chapters are taught via short video lessons that are available 24/7. The lessons are taught by experts in their field, ensuring that you get a quality education.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. Writing & Solving Addition Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to properly write an addition equation and how to solve any addition equation that you come across. Learn what the steps are to solve these equations that have one variable in them.
3. Writing & Solving Subtraction Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know what is needed in order to write a subtraction equation. You will also know how to solve any subtraction equation that you are given or that you write.
4. Writing & Solving Multiplication Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know the components that go into a complete multiplication equation. You will also learn the steps that are needed to solve a multiplication equation.
5. Writing & Solving Division Equations with One Variable
In this video lesson, you will learn the proper format of a division equation. Learn what components are needed for a complete division equation. Also learn what steps you need to take to solve these division equations.
6. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5733): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: Integers, Fractions & Decimals
- Praxis I Math: Percents
- Praxis I Math: Rates
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Whole Numbers
- Praxis I Math: Solving Real-Life Problems
- Praxis I Math: Units, Conversion & Measurements
- Praxis I Math: Data & Statistics
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Basic Operations
- Praxis I Math: Algebra
- Praxis I Math: Geometry
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards