About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Properties of Basic Operations - Chapter Summary
In preparation for the Praxis I Math exam, this chapter provides definitions and examples of the three basic properties of mathematical operations. After completing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define the commutative property
- Provide examples of the associative property
- Detail use of the distributive property
Use the quizzes and chapter exam to ensure that you have a firm grasp on these properties before the test. In case you make any mistakes, use the provided links to jump back to the corresponding points in the video lessons.
1. Commutative Property: Definition & Review
In this lesson, you're going to learn the meaning of the commutative property as well as in which mathematical operations it is applicable and in which ones it is not.
2. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
3. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5733): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: Integers, Fractions & Decimals
- Praxis I Math: Percents
- Praxis I Math: Rates
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Whole Numbers
- Praxis I Math: Solving Real-Life Problems
- Praxis I Math: Units, Conversion & Measurements
- Praxis I Math: Data & Statistics
- Praxis I Math: Algebra
- Praxis I Math: Linear & Quadratic Equations
- Praxis I Math: Geometry
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards