About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Ratio and Proportions - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll learn more about solving problems with proportion, ratio and percent and how they are relate to numbers and operations. Video lesson topics also include:
- Calculations with ratios and proportions
- Solving real world and mathematical problems with proportions and ratios
Each lesson topic will be thoroughly examined by your video instructors as they advise you on how you can best use the information you learn on the Praxis I. You'll be exposed to several different learning approaches throughout the chapter so that your lessons will remain engaging and so that you can be fully ready to take the skills test.
Ratio and Proportions Objectives
The Praxis I Math exam measures your ability to solve problems and your knowledge of mathematical concepts and skills. With this particular course, the goal is to get you ready for the numbers and operations portion of the Praxis, which makes up roughly 32.5% of the full exam. You'll start to get a better idea of how questions are formatted on the test as you complete the self-assessment quizzes in addition to seeing how well you're able to use the testing methods you've learned on the test.
There are roughly 15 multiple choice questions on the exam about number and operations. You'll have 75 minutes to answer all 46 questions on the exam, but you won't be allowed to use a calculator on the exam should you have need of it. Other topics on the exam related to number and operations include order, number properties, computation, numerical reasoning and estimation.
1. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
2. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
3. Practice Problems for Calculating Ratios and Proportions
In this lesson, you'll get a quick review of a type of math problem that shows up on the SAT: ratios and proportions. We'll walk through some problems in the video, and you can test your skills in the quiz questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5732): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: The Real Number System
- Praxis I Math: Square Roots and Exponents
- Praxis I Math: Algebraic Expressions
- Praxis I Math: Equations and Inequalities
- Praxis I Math: Functions
- Praxis I Math: Congruence and Similarity
- Praxis I Math: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Praxis I Math: Circles
- Praxis I Math: Geometric Measurement and Dimension
- Praxis I Math: Basic Statistics and Probability
- Praxis I Math: Categorical and Quantitative Data
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards