About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Solving Real-Life Problems - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers using math to solve real-life problems. The lessons correspond with the Praxis I Math exam. At the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Use critical thinking and logic in math
- Define counterexamples in math and use them to prove the boundaries of theorems
- Solve math problems using estimation
Our chapters are taught via short video lessons that are available 24/7. The easy-to-use dashboard saves your progress so you can jump back into the lessons at your convenience.
1. Critical Thinking and Logic in Mathematics
Logic has its own unique language and way of defining what is true and false. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can critically think in the language of logic while working with math.
2. Counterexample in Math: Definition & Examples
Counterexamples are a useful tool in mathematics. Learn what a counterexample is and how it can be used to prove the boundaries of theorems. You will also look at some examples across different branches of mathematics.
3. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5733): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: Integers, Fractions & Decimals
- Praxis I Math: Percents
- Praxis I Math: Rates
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Whole Numbers
- Praxis I Math: Units, Conversion & Measurements
- Praxis I Math: Data & Statistics
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Basic Operations
- Praxis I Math: Algebra
- Praxis I Math: Linear & Quadratic Equations
- Praxis I Math: Geometry
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards