About This Chapter
Praxis I Math: Units, Conversion and Measurements - Chapter Summary
In preparation for the Praxis I Math exam, this chapter provides an overview of units, conversion, and measurements. It delves into the metric system as well as how to convert measurements and perform basic operations using those measurements. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Work with the units and conversions of the metric system
- Relate the standard units of measurements for length, weight, time and capacity
- Take measurements with scales, meters, and gauges
- Convert standard units of measure
- Perform basic operations with measurements
Our chapters are taught via short video lessons that are available on a mobile-friendly platform. Use the self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter to ensure that you have a firm grasp on the subject.
1. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
2. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
3. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
4. How to Take Measurements with Scales, Meters & Gauges
In the real world, we take measurements all the time. Measurements are taken when you drive and when you weigh yourself, for example. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take measurements of things that are important.
5. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
6. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5733): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Math Core Test
- Praxis I Math: Integers, Fractions & Decimals
- Praxis I Math: Percents
- Praxis I Math: Rates
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Whole Numbers
- Praxis I Math: Solving Real-Life Problems
- Praxis I Math: Data & Statistics
- Praxis I Math: Properties of Basic Operations
- Praxis I Math: Algebra
- Praxis I Math: Linear & Quadratic Equations
- Praxis I Math: Geometry
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math Flashcards