About This Chapter
Praxis I Core Academic Writing: Word Choice - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons will help you learn strategies for answering word choice questions correctly, and you can practice your testing skills with self-assessment quizzes. The chapter's videos detail the following topics related to answering word choice questions on the test:
- Identifying errors in idiomatic expressions
- Recognizing when a wrong word is used in a sentence
- Spotting errors with commonly confused words in English
- Identifying redundant word usage
Each lesson focuses on a different type of word choice error. Instructors teach you strategies for working through this section of the test in a manner that is enjoyable and easy to understand.
Praxis I Core Academic Writing: Word Choice Objectives
The Praxis I Core exam is used for admission into teacher education programs, and the test is used as part of the teacher certification process in some states. Questions about word choice are part of the Praxis I Core Academic Writing test's Language and Research Skills for Writing section. This section will be about 40% of the whole Praxis I Core Academic Writing test, and it's designed to assess your ability to use grammar and language appropriately in written communication. The Language and Research Skills for Writing section of the test consists of 28-34 multiple choice questions.
For each question, you'll read a sentence, paying particular attention to the four underlined parts of the sentence, and you'll need to identify the word choice or mechanics error in the sentence. You might also find that there are no word choice or mechanics errors in the sentence. Each lesson's self-assessment quizzes will help you to become familiar with the style of questions that you'll see on testing day. You can also practice answering the questions with speed and accuracy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Writing (5722): Study Guide & Practice course
- About the Praxis Writing Core Academic Test
- Praxis I Writing: Focusing Your Essay
- Praxis I Writing: Essay Organization
- Praxis I Writing: Developing Ideas
- Praxis I Writing: Writing Arguments
- Praxis I Writing: Informative and Explanatory Texts
- Praxis I Writing: Language and Sentence Structure
- Praxis I Writing: Grammar
- Praxis I Writing: Structural Relationships
- Praxis I Writing: Mechanics
- Praxis I Writing: Research Skills
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Writing Flashcards