About This Chapter
Praxis Business Education: Information Technology Operations and Concepts - Chapter Summary
Prepare to demonstrate your grasp of the objectives related to information technology. Use these short, targeted video lessons with quick, self-assessing quizzes to review all of these information technology operations and concepts topics for the Praxis Business Education:
- Resources: networks, data, software, hardware and people
- Computer functions and parts
- Computer processing devices and memory
- Internal and external storage devices
- Computer input and output devices
- Computer operating systems
- Security and system management
- File types and file extensions
- Technology effects on careers
- Information systems workflows
- Information systems layout and physical design
As you work your way through this body of knowledge, make sure you take the time to complete the quizzes. They will help you check for understanding and discover any areas that still need more attention.
Praxis Business Education: Information Technology Operations and Concepts Objectives
You can expect to find that about 18 of the 120 multiple-choice questions on your Praxis business content knowledge test will address information technology topics, or approximately 15% of the exam. You'll want to have a thorough understanding of the following topics to excel in this portion of the test:
- Operations and concepts
- Human factors
- Technology tools
This chapter addresses many concepts from each of these three areas. Our quiz questions will also give you experience with the types of questions you may find on the test. In addition, you'll want to check out the other chapters covering technology topics to make certain that you've explored all related areas.
1. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are a key part of businesses and integrate technology and human resources to achieve organizational goals. Explore what is an information system and examine the three main components of an information system, including technology, people, and process.
2. Information Systems Resources: Networks, Hardware, Software, Data & People
Information systems resources include networks, hardware, software, data, and people. Explore the definition of these terms and learn how they work together to create usable information.
3. Computer System Components: Computer Parts & Functions
Computers are complex systems with a variety of components. Learn about the primary parts of a computer and how they function, including the motherboard, central processing unit, hard drive, video card, sound card, RAM, ROM, and more.
4. Computer Memory and Processing Devices: Functions & Characteristics
Computer memory and processing devices have various functions and characteristics. Explore the components of computers, including the CPU and its core, and discover the different types of computer memory and processing devices.
5. External and Internal Storage Devices: Optical, Magnetic & Semiconductor Storage
The three types of external and internal computer storage are optical, magnetic, and semiconductor storage. Explore the different types of storage devices and their capacities and find out the function of cloud storage.
6. Computer Input Devices: Keyboards, Mice, Audio & Video
Computer users rely on input devices to interact with a computer and input data. Learn about keyboards, mice, audio inputs, and video inputs. Explore the functions and roles of computer input devices and consider the ergonomics incorporated into their design.
7. Computer Output Devices: Monitors, Speakers, & Printers
Computer output devices allow users to visualize or hear the information stored inside personal computers. Learn about the different computer output devices, the different types of monitors, speakers, and printers, their characteristics, and how to choose the right device.
8. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
Operating system software is used in computers to process start-up instructions, communicate between application software and the devices used, maintain system performance, and change user settings. Learn about the differences between application software and operating system software, how to use the Recycle Bin, and how to change the desktop background wallpaper.
9. OS Functions: Security, System Management, Communication and Hardware & Software Services
Computers rely upon operating system (OS) functions to perform properly. Explore the OS functions, including security, system management, communication, hardware services, and software services.
10. File Extensions and File Types: MP3, GIF, JPG, DOCX, XLSX, EXE, & More
The names for electronic files include file extensions that indicate the format of a file and instruct a computer's operating system how to use it. Learn about file extensions, understand their importance, and explore file types and key extensions, including .mp3, .gif, .jpg, .docx, .xlsx, .exe, and more.
11. Ergonomics, Telecommuting, Virtual Teams & Job Design: Technology Effects on Careers
Information technology has impacted job design, teamwork, health and safety, and how people commute to work, or not. Learn about the ways that jobs have been redesigned, explore telecommuting, virtual teams, and technology effects on careers, and also learn how ergonomics helps to reduce computer-related health issues.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Business Education - Content Knowledge (5101): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Business: Accounting
- Praxis Business: Personal Finance
- Praxis Business: Business Finance
- Praxis Business: Foundations of Communication
- Praxis Business: Written & Oral Communication
- Praxis Business: Employment Communication & Career Research
- Praxis Business: Economic Allocation of Resources
- Praxis Business: Economic Systems & Market Structures
- Praxis Business: Role of the Government in Economics
- Praxis Business: Economic Indicators of Growth
- Praxis Business: Entrepreneurship
- Praxis Business: Technology Tools
- Praxis Business: Computer Applications
- Praxis Business: Programming & Design
- Praxis Business: Foundations of International Business
- Praxis Business: International Business Environment
- Praxis Business: Contract Law
- Praxis Business: Consumer & Computer Law
- Praxis Business: US Court System
- Praxis Business: Marketing
- Praxis Business: Management
- Praxis: Professional Business Education
- Praxis Business Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards