About This Chapter
Praxis Business Education: Information Technology Operations and Concepts - Chapter Summary
Prepare to demonstrate your grasp of the objectives related to information technology. Use these short, targeted video lessons with quick, self-assessing quizzes to review all of these information technology operations and concepts topics for the Praxis Business Education:
- Resources: networks, data, software, hardware and people
- Computer functions and parts
- Computer processing devices and memory
- Internal and external storage devices
- Computer input and output devices
- Computer operating systems
- Security and system management
- File types and file extensions
- Technology effects on careers
- Information systems workflows
- Information systems layout and physical design
As you work your way through this body of knowledge, make sure you take the time to complete the quizzes. They will help you check for understanding and discover any areas that still need more attention.
Praxis Business Education: Information Technology Operations and Concepts Objectives
You can expect to find that about 18 of the 120 multiple-choice questions on your Praxis business content knowledge test will address information technology topics, or approximately 15% of the exam. You'll want to have a thorough understanding of the following topics to excel in this portion of the test:
- Operations and concepts
- Human factors
- Technology tools
This chapter addresses many concepts from each of these three areas. Our quiz questions will also give you experience with the types of questions you may find on the test. In addition, you'll want to check out the other chapters covering technology topics to make certain that you've explored all related areas.
1. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
2. Information Systems Resources: Networks, Hardware, Software, Data & People
What are the resources an information system needs? Discover how networks, hardware, software, data and people work together to create usable information.
3. Computer System Components: Computer Parts & Functions
Are you ready to buy a computer? Let's take a trip through the components of a computer for some advice. We'll learn about the motherboard, memory, storage, connectivity and peripherals.
4. Computer Memory and Processing Devices: Functions & Characteristics
Have you ever wondered how your computer operates - specifically, where it stores all the information it needs to run? This lesson will answer that question by explaining the general functions of the central processing unit (CPU), random-access memory (RAM) and read-only memory (ROM).
5. External and Internal Storage Devices: Optical, Magnetic & Semiconductor Storage
Let's explore the capacity of internal and external storage devices. We'll learn how optical, magnetic and semiconductor storage works, as well as identify some examples of storage devices.
6. Computer Input Devices: Keyboards, Mice, Audio & Video
What input devices do you use on a daily basis? We'll take a look at the common keyboard and mouse devices as well as other methods of input like audio and video.
7. Computer Output Devices: Monitors, Speakers, & Printers
So you've entered information into your computer. How do you get it back out? Here's a look at output devices such as monitors, speakers, printers and eBooks.
8. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
9. OS Functions: Security, System Management, Communication and Hardware & Software Services
The operating system (or OS ) is the brain of a computer and manages its functions, including systems management/monitoring, communication/networking services management, security services management, and hardware/software services management.
10. File Extensions and File Types: MP3, GIF, JPG, DOCX, XLSX, EXE, & More
File extensions are used to indicate the format of files so operating systems know what to do with them. Learn why there are so many different file extensions. Also learn about some of the most widely used file extensions.
11. Ergonomics, Telecommuting, Virtual Teams & Job Design: Technology Effects on Careers
This lesson explores the impact of information technology on job design, teamwork, health and safety and how we commute to work. Specific topics discussed are telecommuting, virtual teams, job design and ergonomics.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Business Education - Content Knowledge (5101): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Business: Accounting
- Praxis Business: Personal Finance
- Praxis Business: Business Finance
- Praxis Business: Foundations of Communication
- Praxis Business: Written & Oral Communication
- Praxis Business: Employment Communication & Career Research
- Praxis Business: Economic Allocation of Resources
- Praxis Business: Economic Systems & Market Structures
- Praxis Business: Role of the Government in Economics
- Praxis Business: Economic Indicators of Growth
- Praxis Business: Entrepreneurship
- Praxis Business: Technology Tools
- Praxis Business: Computer Applications
- Praxis Business: Programming & Design
- Praxis Business: Foundations of International Business
- Praxis Business: International Business Environment
- Praxis Business: Contract Law
- Praxis Business: Consumer & Computer Law
- Praxis Business: US Court System
- Praxis Business: Marketing
- Praxis Business: Management
- Praxis: Professional Business Education
- Praxis Business Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards