About This Chapter
Praxis Business Education: Personal Finance - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter help you explore various types of investment opportunities and financial institutions, so you can excel on the personal finance portion of the Praxis Business Education exam. Topics of discussion cover:
- Mutual and exchange-traded funds
- Stocks and bonds
- Credit management
Use the engaging video lessons, transcripts and self-assessment quizzes included in this chapter to find out what's covered on the Praxis Business Education exam and pinpoint which topics will require additional study before exam day. You can also use these resources to familiarize yourself with how the test's multiple-choice questions are formatted.
Praxis Business Education: Personal Finance Objectives
If you're an aspiring business teacher, passing scores on the Praxis Business Education exam could be required for subject area licensure in your state of residence. Lessons included in this chapter can help you prepare for the test's 18 or so multiple-choice questions assessing your familiarity with accounting and finance. This content domain will ask you to demonstrate your knowledge of such topics as savings, investments and the risks associated with different forms of financing. You'll also need to be familiar with methods for earning and improving credit and managing personal finances. There are 120 multiple-choice questions total, and the exam takes two hours to complete.
1. What is a Savings Account? - Definition & Types
People use savings accounts to invest their money for short periods of time. They are the most simple, liquid types of short-term investments. Learn about some basic types of savings accounts and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Investment Opportunities in Mutual Funds and Exchange-Traded Funds
Investing in the stock market is not limited to individual stocks. Investors can also invest in mutual funds and exchange-traded funds. In this lesson, you'll learn about these opportunities, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
3. Investment Opportunities in Stocks and Bonds
Investors often turn to the stock and bond markets when investing their money. Each market offers opportunities and risks for the individual investor. In this lesson, we'll explore the nature of these investments.
4. Credit & Debt in Personal Finance
Credit and debt are the foundation of any form of finance. This lesson highlights the pros and cons of credit and debt as they pertain to personal finance.
5. Types of Financial Assets: Money, Stocks & Bonds
For an economy to operate effectively, consumers and businesses need a common medium of exchange and mechanisms to encourage some people to save, others to borrow and others to invest. In any modern economy, these needs are met with money, stocks and bonds.
6. Institutions of the U.S. Banking System
The United States banking system is diverse and consists of many different types of institutions. In this lesson, you'll learn about commercial banks, savings and loan associations, credit unions, and investment banks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Business Education - Content Knowledge (5101): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Business: Accounting
- Praxis Business: Business Finance
- Praxis Business: Foundations of Communication
- Praxis Business: Written & Oral Communication
- Praxis Business: Employment Communication & Career Research
- Praxis Business: Economic Allocation of Resources
- Praxis Business: Economic Systems & Market Structures
- Praxis Business: Role of the Government in Economics
- Praxis Business: Economic Indicators of Growth
- Praxis Business: Entrepreneurship
- Praxis Business: Information Technology Operations and Concepts
- Praxis Business: Technology Tools
- Praxis Business: Computer Applications
- Praxis Business: Programming & Design
- Praxis Business: Foundations of International Business
- Praxis Business: International Business Environment
- Praxis Business: Contract Law
- Praxis Business: Consumer & Computer Law
- Praxis Business: US Court System
- Praxis Business: Marketing
- Praxis Business: Management
- Praxis: Professional Business Education
- Praxis Business Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards