About This Chapter
Praxis Business Education: Technology Tools - Chapter Summary
Sure, we all know about the World Wide Web, but how, exactly, does it work? Find out with the video lessons in this chapter. Practice using search engines, keywords, different methods of communication and various types of data, to make sure that you're familiar with current technologies for your Praxis Business Education test. The following topics are included in this chapter:
- Internet collaboration
- World Wide Web
- Internet communication
- Search engines and Web portals
- Cloud computing
- Database structures and management
- Types of data
You can also learn about Internet basics, including URLs, IP addresses, ISPs, DNS and ARPANET, so that you can answer technology foundations questions. Take the quick quizzes to make sure that you haven't missed any critical pieces of knowledge.
Praxis Business Education: Technology Tools Objectives
The information technology portion of the test will analyze your understanding of technology tools. About 18 out of the total 120 multiple-choice questions, or 15% of the exam, assess your knowledge of information technology. Review the following topics to prepare for the Praxis:
- Technology tools used for communication, research, problem-solving and decision-making
- Technology operations and concepts
- Human interactions: workflow, ergonomics, physical design and layout
The lessons in this chapter can help you better understand the various types of technology tools. Also, check for our chapters addressing human interactions, technology operations and concepts, to make sure that you're completely ready for this portion of the Praxis Business Education exam.
1. The Internet: IP Addresses, URLs, ISPs, DNS & ARPANET
We'll cover the basics of the Internet, including its history and functioning. Key topics include IP addresses, TCP/IP communication protocol, DNS, URLs, and the transfer of information as packets through the Internet.
2. World Wide Web: How the Web Works
In this lesson, an overview of the World Wide Web is discussed, including its development and operation. The various technologies that enable the Web to work are also described. Topics include Web browsers, hypertext markup language, hypertext transfer protocol, hyperlink and FTP.
3. Internet Communication: Social Media, Email, Blog, & Chat
This lesson talks about how social media adds business value by building networks that enhance competitive advantage, enable the exchange of information, foster strong relationships and serve as a foundation of building professional and personal relationships irrespective of different geographical spaces and time zones.
4. Internet Collaboration: Second Life, VOIP, Video Conferencing, Virtual Reality & Telepresence
Today, individuals and businesses are collaborating and interacting online from dispersed locations. Many technologies make it possible to communicate, learn, conduct business, and socialize with people from anywhere in the world. This lesson will discuss various Internet collaboration tools and virtual reality concepts.
5. Search Engines, Keywords & Web Portals
Search engines enable users to locate a vast amount of information on any topic quickly and conveniently through the Internet. Common search engines include Google, Yahoo, Bing, and AOL. The topics discussed in this lesson include search engines, Web portals, keywords, Boolean operators, spiders, search forms, database, and meta tags.
6. e-commerce & m-commerce: Buying & Selling on the Web & Mobile Devices
E-commerce and m-commerce have transformed the way that organizations and consumers conduct business. Additional topics discussed in this lesson include B2B, B2C, C2C, and e-government.
7. Cloud Computing and Databases: Technology to Improve Database Management
Cloud computing uses a network of computers to provide services that otherwise would be provided by a single computer or computer server. Learn how cloud computing works and how it allows you to use the same database on multiple devices in this video lesson.
8. Database Concepts and Structures: The Elements That Make Up a Database
Learn the fundamental elements of databases and how they are structured. One common data structure is a database table, which uses records and fields to organize data.
9. Types of Data: Text, Numbers & Multimedia
Discuss the basic types of data found in databases. These include character strings, integers, decimals, images, audio, video and other multimedia types.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Business Education - Content Knowledge (5101): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Business: Accounting
- Praxis Business: Personal Finance
- Praxis Business: Business Finance
- Praxis Business: Foundations of Communication
- Praxis Business: Written & Oral Communication
- Praxis Business: Employment Communication & Career Research
- Praxis Business: Economic Allocation of Resources
- Praxis Business: Economic Systems & Market Structures
- Praxis Business: Role of the Government in Economics
- Praxis Business: Economic Indicators of Growth
- Praxis Business: Entrepreneurship
- Praxis Business: Information Technology Operations and Concepts
- Praxis Business: Computer Applications
- Praxis Business: Programming & Design
- Praxis Business: Foundations of International Business
- Praxis Business: International Business Environment
- Praxis Business: Contract Law
- Praxis Business: Consumer & Computer Law
- Praxis Business: US Court System
- Praxis Business: Marketing
- Praxis Business: Management
- Praxis: Professional Business Education
- Praxis Business Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards