About This Chapter
Praxis Earth and Space Sciences: Glaciers & Oceans - Chapter Summary
What causes tsunamis, island formation or sea level changes? Our video lessons can help you study ocean characteristics, circulation and tides. You can also review information about glaciers through this chapter. Find out about the various types and their movements, in addition to learning about erosion and deposition. When you've finished these lessons, you should be able to answer test questions about the following topics:
- Glacial types, movement, erosion, change and deposition
- Ocean structure, circulation, properties, waves and tides
- Topography of the sea floor
- Tsunami causes and effects
- Formation and gradual change of islands
- Estuary roles
- Origin and deposition rates of marine sediments
- Alterations of sea levels
- Photosynthesizers and light penetration in oceans
- Nutrient flow
The video lessons in this chapter can help you refresh your memories of these crucial topics, and the quizzes offer you experience with the types of questions you may find on the test.
Objectives of the Praxis Earth and Space Sciences: Glaciers & Oceans
All of the questions on this Praxis test are multiple choice and require you to comprehend major concepts associated with oceanography and geology, along with environmental science, astronomy and meteorology. You'll be asked to analyze and solve problems and have knowledge of important terms.
You can expect to find questions related to the topics listed above in approximately 67%-83% of this content level test. These sections analyze your knowledge of basic scientific principles, tectonics, Earth's materials and Earth's hydrosphere, in addition to assessing your capabilities as a secondary Earth and space sciences teacher.
1. What Are Glaciers? - Definition, Types & Processes
Learn about the two major types of glaciers: continental and alpine glaciers. These glaciers shape the landscape around them and affect our everyday lives, even if the nearest glacier is thousands of miles away.
2. Glacier Movement: Definition & Process
Glaciers are mountains of ice that move. This movement is usually a combination of processes that include internal plastic deformation and basal sliding. Learn about these processes and factors that increase glacial flow rates.
3. Glacial Erosion: Definition, Processes & Features
Glaciers are huge blocks of ice that move along the landscape, carving distinct features along the way. Learn about the glacial erosion processes, plucking and abrasion, and the features they create, including cirque, horns, arête and roche moutonnee.
4. Glacial Deposition: Definition & Results
As glaciers move and retreat, they push and drop rocks and sediments in a process known as glacial deposition. Learn about this glacial process and the interesting landforms that result from it, including moraines, erratics and drumlins, in this lesson.
5. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
6. Properties of Ocean Water
Ocean waters are salty and contain minerals and dissolved gases. They also have a high heat capacity and vary in density depending on temperature and salinity. Learn more about the unique chemical and physical properties of ocean water.
7. Waves: Types, Features & Effect on Erosion
There are different types of ocean waves, including wind waves, tsunamis and tidal waves. Learn the features of waves and how their erosive effect creates the unique features found on the shoreline.
8. What Are Tides? - Causes & Effects
Tides rise and fall under the influence of the gravitational pull of the moon and sun. Learn about different tides, why they are predictable and their effects on coastal regions of the world.
9. The Causes & Effects of a Tsunami
A tsunami is a powerful series of waves that result due to an abrupt disturbance, such as an earthquake. Learn how tsunamis form and grow and discover the devastating effects they can have on people and the environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Earth & Space Sciences - Content Knowledge (5571): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Scientific Research Methods & Tools
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Data Collection & Analysis
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Properties of Matter
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Principles of Energy
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Biological, Physical & Chemical Processes
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Science, Technology & Society
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Energy Sources
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Earth Resources
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Plate Tectonics
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Rock Deformation and Mountain Building
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Earthquakes
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Volcanoes
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Minerals and Rocks
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Weathering, Soil & Waste
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Earth History & Life Forms
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Atmosphere & Hydrosphere
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Weather Systems & Meteorology
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Weather and Storms
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Natural Phenomena & the Earth's Climate
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Surface & Groundwater
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Earth & the Solar System
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: Galaxies & the Universe
- Praxis Earth & Space Sciences: The Exploration of Space
- Praxis Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge Flashcards