About This Chapter
Praxis General Science: Astronomy - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers topics that are related to astronomy, a subject in which you must have fundamental knowledge if you're to pass the Praxis General Science examination. These video lessons prepare you to answer questions about the formation of the galaxy. Study the Big Bang theory, examine various elements of the planets in our solar system and explore satellites in orbit as you progress through the chapter. You'll have studied sufficiently when you can:
- Explain theories on the origin and history of our universe
- Identify stars according to their size and color
- Describe the formation of spiral and elliptical and irregular galaxies
- Discuss dark matter and gravitational lensing
- Summarize the solar system and the major characteristics of the planets
- Explore interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon system
- Define the orbit of planets and satellites
- Detail technology used to study astronomy
Presented by experienced teachers, the video lessons can be watched online with your mobile device or on a desktop computer. The chapter allows you to complete self-assessment quizzes at your leisure so you can be sure that you're prepared when answering pertinent questions on the Praxis General Science examination.
1. Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Expanding & Contracting Universes
Students will learn the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory, the timeline of the universe, how the universe is still expanding to this day, and what astronomers expect the universe to look like in the future.
2. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
3. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
4. Galaxy Formation: Spiral, Elliptical & Irregular Galaxies
This lesson explains how galaxies form, starting with the Big Bang. You'll also learn about the solar nebula hypothesis and three galaxy types, including spiral, elliptical, and irregular galaxies.
5. Interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon System
Learn how the sun, earth, and moon interact with each other to create tides, phases, eclipses, seasons, solar winds, and precession. Take a quiz and see how much you've picked up.
6. Major Characteristics of Planets in the Solar System
This lesson will go over some characteristics of the planets in our solar system with respect to their masses, diameters, temperatures, densities, and rotation.
7. What is Orbit? - Planets & Satellites
This lesson talks about what an orbit is and defines some common terms associates with orbit. We also talk specifically about orbits of planets and satellites.
8. Dark Matter & Gravitational Lensing
This lesson will describe what dark matter is, how much of a cluster of galaxies is made of it, where it's located, and how all of this is related to gravitational lensing.
9. Using Technology to Study the Earth & Universe
Have you ever wondered how we know so much about the universe? Learn about how we use technology to study the universe, from the tiny to the enormous. Then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis General Science (5435): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis General Science: Methodology, Techniques & History
- Praxis General Science: Matter
- Praxis General Science: Thermodynamics
- Praxis General Science: Periodicity
- Praxis General Science: States of Matter
- Praxis General Science: Bonding & Structure
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- Praxis General Science: Solutions & Solubility
- Praxis General Science: Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Motion & Forces
- Praxis General Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- Praxis General Science: Optics & Waves
- Praxis General Science: Basic Structure & Functions of Cells
- Praxis General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- Praxis General Science: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Praxis General Science: Basic Genetics
- Praxis General Science: Theory & Key Mechanisms of Evolution
- Praxis General Science: Hierarchical Classification Scheme
- Praxis General Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- Praxis General Science: Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Praxis General Science: Key Aspects of Ecology
- Praxis General Science: Physical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Historical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Earth's Bodies of Water
- Praxis General Science: Meteorology & Climate
- Praxis General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- Praxis General Science Flashcards