About This Chapter
Praxis General Science: Cell Biology - Chapter Summary
If you'll soon take the Praxis General Science examination, review the fundamentals of cell biology in this chapter. Use its video lessons to help you remember the components of cells and the different types of cells. Your study of this chapter will allow you to do the following on the exam:
- Understand passive and active transport in cells
- Compare eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells
- Identify the internal components of a cell
- Explain the difference between plant and animal cells
- Summarize the organization and functions of living organisms
- Discuss specialized cells and their functions
The lesson instructors are credentialed educators whose conversational delivery smooths the learning process as you get set to take the Praxis General Science examination. View the online video lessons with your mobile device, and use the pause function while you absorb the information. The chapter includes worksheets, self-assessment quizzes and text transcripts. Take the chapter examination at any point throughout your study.
1. Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic Cells: Similarities and Differences
In this lesson, we discuss the similarities and differences between the eukaryotic cells of your body and prokaryotic cells such as bacteria. Eukaryotes organize different functions within specialized membrane-bound compartments called organelles. These structures do not exist in prokaryotes.
2. Organelles: Internal Components of a Cell
The organelles of a cell are much like the organs of your body. In fact, the word organelle means little organ. Learn about important organelles of a human cell, such as the nucleus, endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, lysosomes and Golgi bodies.
3. The Difference Between Plant and Animal Cells
While both plant and animal cells are eukaryotic and share many similarities, they also differ in several ways. Learn about the key differences between these two cell types in this lesson.
4. Passive & Active Transport in Cells
In order for your cells to survive, nutrients and other substances must be allowed to move in and out across the cell membrane. Sometimes this requires energy (active transport), and sometimes it does not (passive transport).
5. Living Organisms: Organization, Functions & Structure
In this lesson, you'll learn about living organisms and how they're structured and organized. You'll also discover how the larger functions of organisms are spread into smaller parts. Then, take a quiz to test what you've learned.
6. Specialized Cells: Types & Functions
Our bodies are made up of cells, but they are not all the same. Cells are specialized according to their functions. In this lesson, we'll learn about cell specialization and see examples of specialized cells.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis General Science (5435): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis General Science: Methodology, Techniques & History
- Praxis General Science: Matter
- Praxis General Science: Thermodynamics
- Praxis General Science: Periodicity
- Praxis General Science: States of Matter
- Praxis General Science: Bonding & Structure
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- Praxis General Science: Solutions & Solubility
- Praxis General Science: Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Motion & Forces
- Praxis General Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- Praxis General Science: Optics & Waves
- Praxis General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- Praxis General Science: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Praxis General Science: Basic Genetics
- Praxis General Science: Theory & Key Mechanisms of Evolution
- Praxis General Science: Hierarchical Classification Scheme
- Praxis General Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- Praxis General Science: Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Praxis General Science: Key Aspects of Ecology
- Praxis General Science: Physical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Historical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Earth's Bodies of Water
- Praxis General Science: Meteorology & Climate
- Praxis General Science: Astronomy
- Praxis General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- Praxis General Science Flashcards