About This Chapter
Praxis General Science: Earth's Bodies of Water - Chapter Summary
Study the ways in which the Earth's bodies of water form, and examine some of their many types and features through this chapter's online text and video lessons. For example, you can learn about different kinds of ocean waves, including tsunamis and tidal waves. Explore the water cycle from precipitation through evaporation, and discover the function of groundwater. Check out these and other facts in preparation for passing the Praxis General Science examination for a teaching certification. The information presented in this chapter can help you to:
- Understand the biodiversity of oceans
- Explain the water cycle's processes
- Discuss the distribution of the Earth's water
- Identify the Earth's major oceans and ocean zones
- Understand waves' effects on erosion
- Contrast passive and active continental margins
- Explain the formation of ocean basins and ocean ridge systems
- Define glaciers and groundwater systems
This flexible mode of education will allow you to learn all about the Earth's bodies of water as your schedule allows. In fact, you can access these text and video lessons online 24/7. Just click to pause and restart the lessons as you jot down information or memorize on-screen graphics. You can also refer to the written transcripts that have important keywords, and utilize the worksheets and self-assessment quizzes as you absorb this chapter's material. When you sit for the Praxis General Science examination, you can apply your acquired knowledge.
Praxis General Science: Earth's Bodies of Water Chapter Objectives
As you pursue a teaching certification in science, you'll answer 135 multiple-choice questions on the computerized Praxis General Science examination. It features five content categories. Apply your understanding of this chapter's information during the Earth and Space Science content category. Its first section, Physical Geology, explores the water cycle while the third section, Earth's Bodies of Water, consists of questions about oceans, tides, currents, waves and more. The Earth and Space Science category includes 27 questions and makes up 20% of the score.
1. Ecosystems of Oceans and Freshwater: Biological Diversity and Water
In this lesson, you'll learn about the biodiversity of ecosystems based on water. You will discover that marine, freshwater and a mixture of salt and freshwater create very different ecosystems, which in turn influence the amount of biodiversity that is found in these habitats.
2. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
3. The Distribution of Water on Earth
Water covers most of Earth but in a variety of forms. In this video lesson you will learn about how water is distributed on Earth, though you may be surprised to find out just how little of it we can access!
4. Chemical Composition & Physical Attributes of Fresh, Brackish & Salt Water
Discover the differences between fresh, brackish, and saltwater. Learn about their chemical and physical features. Afterward, see how well you know the differences by taking a quiz.
5. Oceans: Facts & Information
Over fifty percent of the world's population lives near a coastline. The oceans of the world affect our everyday lives, from recreation to resources, to climate. Learn some fun facts about this unique feature of our planet!
6. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
7. Waves: Types, Features & Effect on Erosion
There are different types of ocean waves, including wind waves, tsunamis and tidal waves. Learn the features of waves and how their erosive effect creates the unique features found on the shoreline.
8. Characteristics of Different Ocean Zones
The oceans can be divided into horizontal and vertical zones. These divisions help us better understand the characteristics of these vast bodies of water. Learn what these zones are in this lesson.
9. Active & Passive Continental Margins
Continental margins are areas that separate the continental crust and oceanic crust. Discover the differences between the tectonically active continental margins and the relatively quiet passive continental margins.
10. Ocean Basins: Definition, Formation, Features & Types
Ocean basins are those areas found under the sea. They can be relatively inactive areas where deposits of sediment slowly collect or active areas where tectonic plates meet. Learn how ocean basins form and about features such as oceanic ridges and trenches.
11. Oceanic Ridge System: Formation & Distribution
The oceanic ridge system is a continuous underwater mountain range with parts found in every ocean of the world. The ridge system is created when magma rising between diverging plates of the lithosphere cools and forms a new layer of crust.
12. What Are Glaciers? - Definition, Types & Processes
Learn about the two major types of glaciers: continental and alpine glaciers. These glaciers shape the landscape around them and affect our everyday lives, even if the nearest glacier is thousands of miles away.
13. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis General Science (5435): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis General Science: Methodology, Techniques & History
- Praxis General Science: Matter
- Praxis General Science: Energy
- Praxis General Science: Atomic Structure
- Praxis General Science: Radioactivity
- Praxis General Science: Thermodynamics
- Praxis General Science: Periodicity
- Praxis General Science: Gases
- Praxis General Science: Bonding & Structure
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Kinetics
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reaction Equilibrium
- Praxis General Science: Oxidation Reduction
- Praxis General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- Praxis General Science: Solutions & Solubility
- Praxis General Science: Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Newton's Laws & Motion in Physics
- Praxis General Science: Linear & Angular Momentum
- Praxis General Science: Oscillations
- Praxis General Science: Laws of Gravitation
- Praxis General Science: Work, Energy & Power
- Praxis General Science: Fluid Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- Praxis General Science: Electrical Forces & Fields
- Praxis General Science: Potential & Capacitance
- Praxis General Science: Optics & Waves
- Praxis General Science: Cell Biology
- Praxis General Science: Prokaryotic Cells
- Praxis General Science: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- Praxis General Science: Plant Cells
- Praxis General Science: The Transcription & Translation Process
- Praxis General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- Praxis General Science: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Praxis General Science: Basic Genetics
- Praxis General Science: DNA Replication
- Praxis General Science: Theory & Key Mechanisms of Evolution
- Praxis General Science: Hierarchical Classification Scheme
- Praxis General Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- Praxis General Science: Human Body Systems
- Praxis General Science: Human Reproductive Systems & Development
- Praxis General Science: Key Aspects of Ecology
- Praxis General Science: Minerals & Rocks
- Praxis General Science: Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Praxis General Science: Changing Earth's Surfaces
- Praxis General Science: Historical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Meteorology & Climate
- Praxis General Science: Astronomy
- Praxis General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- Praxis General Science Flashcards