About This Chapter
Praxis General Science: Optics & Waves - Chapter Summary
As you prepare for the Praxis General Science exam, use these lessons to reinforce your understanding of waves, sound waves and electromagnetic waves. Each lesson video is taught by one of our professional instructors. They're also available to answer any questions you may have so that you can effectively master the material presented in this chapter about:
- Wavelengths, amplitudes, periods, frequency and speed
- Transverse and longitudinal waves
- Volume and pitch
- Sound waves and the factors that affect the properties of sound
- The seven major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum
- Color frequencies and the color spectrum
- Reflections, resonance and other ways waves can be altered
- Properties of transparent and opaque materials
- Constructive interference and the Doppler effect
- Wave-particle duality
In addition to these lesson videos, this chapter includes a series of lesson transcripts and quizzes. The transcripts are written overviews of lessons that allow for an additional review of the material and include highlighted keywords. The quizzes will assess how much of the information you understood.
1. Wave Parameters: Wavelength, Amplitude, Period, Frequency & Speed
How do we measure and describe waves? How do waves differ based upon their shapes? This lesson will guide you through the five wave parameters - period, frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and speed - that we use to characterize waves.
2. Transverse & Longitudinal Waves: Definition & Examples
What comes to mind when you think of a wave? Chances are your mental image takes the form of a transverse wave. But, longitudinal waves are just as important, and understanding the difference is vital to learning about waves. In this lesson, explore both types of waves and the unique characteristics of each.
3. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
4. Pitch and Volume in Sound Waves
What do pitch and volume mean when talking about sound waves? Further your understanding of sound waves in this lesson as we explore the more familiar aspects of sound. We'll learn about pitch and volume and how they relate to sound wave parameters.
5. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
6. The Nature of Light: Origin, Spectrum & Color Frequency
This lesson introduces the basics of visible light and color. Learn how the visible light spectrum is divided into the six color ranges. We'll also discuss why different people name colors in different ways.
7. Reflection: Angle of Incidence, Curved Surfaces & Diffusion
How does light bounce off surfaces? Learn the differences between how light bounces off flat surfaces, curved surfaces, and non-shiny surfaces. Then reflect on your reflection knowledge with a quiz.
8. Resonance: Definition & Transmission of Waves
This lesson describes how sound and light waves are affected by the principle of resonance. Learn how resonance occurs through the vibrations and resonant frequencies of objects. You'll investigate everyday examples of resonance and learn how to break a wine glass with your voice!
9. Transparent and Opaque Materials in Electromagnetic Waves
What makes an object transparent or opaque? How does light pass through some objects and not others? And what about the other types of electromagnetic waves? We'll investigate all these questions in this lesson about the transparency and opacity of materials.
10. Color: White Light, Reflection & Absorption
What gives color to objects? How do light waves interact with materials to produce red and green or white and black? In this lesson, learn how white light is composed of all colors and how absorption and reflection influence our color perception.
11. Refraction, Dispersion & Diffraction
Learn about light waves and how they can be affected by objects. Explore the difference between refraction, dispersion, and diffraction. Take the quiz to see how much you can remember.
12. Constructive and Destructive Interference
What happens when one wave meets another? Do the waves converge to make one giant wave? Or, do they destroy each other? In this lesson, we'll explore the workings of wave interference.
13. The Doppler Effect: Definition, Examples & Applications
What is the Doppler effect? How does it affect our perceptions of sound and light? In this lesson, learn how traveling wave sources can change the way we observe sound and light waves. Explore the applications of the Doppler effect on shock waves, sonic booms, and the movements of distant galaxies.
14. Wave-Particle Duality: Concept, Explanation & Examples
Is light a particle with mass and substance? Or, is it just a wave traveling through space? Most scientists say light is both a particle and a wave! Find out how they came to this strange conclusion as we learn about the theory of wave-particle duality.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis General Science (5435): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis General Science: Methodology, Techniques & History
- Praxis General Science: Matter
- Praxis General Science: Energy
- Praxis General Science: Atomic Structure
- Praxis General Science: Radioactivity
- Praxis General Science: Thermodynamics
- Praxis General Science: Periodicity
- Praxis General Science: Gases
- Praxis General Science: Bonding & Structure
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Kinetics
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reaction Equilibrium
- Praxis General Science: Oxidation Reduction
- Praxis General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- Praxis General Science: Solutions & Solubility
- Praxis General Science: Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Newton's Laws & Motion in Physics
- Praxis General Science: Linear & Angular Momentum
- Praxis General Science: Oscillations
- Praxis General Science: Laws of Gravitation
- Praxis General Science: Work, Energy & Power
- Praxis General Science: Fluid Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- Praxis General Science: Electrical Forces & Fields
- Praxis General Science: Potential & Capacitance
- Praxis General Science: Cell Biology
- Praxis General Science: Prokaryotic Cells
- Praxis General Science: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- Praxis General Science: Plant Cells
- Praxis General Science: The Transcription & Translation Process
- Praxis General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- Praxis General Science: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Praxis General Science: Basic Genetics
- Praxis General Science: DNA Replication
- Praxis General Science: Theory & Key Mechanisms of Evolution
- Praxis General Science: Hierarchical Classification Scheme
- Praxis General Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- Praxis General Science: Human Body Systems
- Praxis General Science: Human Reproductive Systems & Development
- Praxis General Science: Key Aspects of Ecology
- Praxis General Science: Minerals & Rocks
- Praxis General Science: Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Praxis General Science: Changing Earth's Surfaces
- Praxis General Science: Historical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Earth's Bodies of Water
- Praxis General Science: Meteorology & Climate
- Praxis General Science: Astronomy
- Praxis General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- Praxis General Science Flashcards