About This Chapter
Praxis General Science: Plant Structures & Functions - Chapter Summary
This chapter addresses the many pieces of a plant's structure as well as its functions, and it can serve as a valuable tool as you study for the Praxis General Science exam. The following objectives will be explored in these lessons:
- Classify vascular, nonvascular, monocot and dicot plants
- Describe the pollination process
- Explain asexual plant reproduction
- Track seasonal growth cycles of perennial, annual and biennial plants
- Understand the role of hormones in plant growth, reproduction and control
- Identify the parts of a plant
- Examine water absorption and movement in plants
- Discuss plant adaptations and responses to environmental stimuli and stress
Developed by subject-matter experts, these lessons are available both as videos and full transcripts so you may review their content according to your preferred learning style. Keep track of your progress through this chapter by using the dashboard feature, which also tells you how many of the lesson quizzes you've passed. Make note of key terminology, which is highlighted in both the videos and transcripts. These terms will prove beneficial to know for the exam.
1. Classification of Vascular, Nonvascular, Monocot & Dicot Plants
Plants may not seem like the most interesting things around, but they are definitely useful. In this lesson, we will explore the basic classification of plants and the unique characteristics of each group.
2. What are the Parts of a Plant?
Ever look at a plant and wonder what each specific part is? A plant has two basic plant parts: the shoot and root systems. In this lesson, you'll learn and be able to identify each individual plant part within the shoot and root systems.
3. Pollination Process: Male & Female Flower Components
In this lesson, we'll learn about the pollination process and the components in plants that make this possible. We'll also learn about the various forms of pollination and how they work.
4. Asexual Plant Reproduction: Vegetative Propagation and Bulbs
Not all plants make attractive flowers in order to reproduce. Some plants will not make seeds and pollen either. These plants have other ways to create new offspring. We will look at a few key methods of vegetative propagation.
5. Seasonal Growth Cycles: Perennial, Annual and Biennial Plants
We continue to grow and change throughout our entire lives, living through many seasons and years. Plants have different patterns of growth and development regarding seasons, which we will look at in this lesson.
6. Plant Hormones: Chemical Control of Growth and Reproduction
We most often think of hormones as things that control our actions and development. However, even plants have these chemicals to help regulate growth and reproduction.
7. Water Absorption & Movement in Plants
In this lesson, you'll learn about the complex process involved in the transport and absorption of water from the roots to the leaves of different types of plants.
8. Environmental Stimuli & Stress: Plant Adaptations & Responses
Plants get stressed out about a lot of stuff, like floods, droughts, high heat, and cold. And they have ways in which they deal with these kinds of stress. This lesson gives some examples of how this occurs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis General Science (5435): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis General Science: Methodology, Techniques & History
- Praxis General Science: Matter
- Praxis General Science: Thermodynamics
- Praxis General Science: Periodicity
- Praxis General Science: States of Matter
- Praxis General Science: Bonding & Structure
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- Praxis General Science: Solutions & Solubility
- Praxis General Science: Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Motion & Forces
- Praxis General Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- Praxis General Science: Optics & Waves
- Praxis General Science: Basic Structure & Functions of Cells
- Praxis General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- Praxis General Science: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Praxis General Science: Basic Genetics
- Praxis General Science: Theory & Key Mechanisms of Evolution
- Praxis General Science: Hierarchical Classification Scheme
- Praxis General Science: Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Praxis General Science: Key Aspects of Ecology
- Praxis General Science: Physical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Historical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Earth's Bodies of Water
- Praxis General Science: Meteorology & Climate
- Praxis General Science: Astronomy
- Praxis General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- Praxis General Science Flashcards