About This Chapter
Praxis General Science: Solutions & Solubility - Chapter Summary
The video lessons within this Praxis General Science test prep chapter walk you through the chemistry behind scientific solutions, illustrating the principles involved with them and the calculations that go into their creation. Once you're finished with this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define the rate of dissolution
- Explain solubility and solubility curves
- Calculate molarity and molarity concentration
- Give examples of a solution in science
- Define the concentration of solutions
With the step-by-step approach of these video lessons, you can study for the exam at your own pace and ensure you're comfortable with each concept discussed before tackling another. Preparing for the exam in this way will help you go into the test with strengthened comprehension of the topics awaiting you.
1. What is a Solution in Science? - Definition & Examples
The air we breathe, what we drink, as well as products in our household - these are a few examples of solutions we encounter every day. In this lesson, we will discuss what a solution is, the different types, as well as examples.
2. Concentration of Solutions: Definition & Levels
In this lesson, we learn about solutions and what makes up a solution. We also look at solution concentration levels and how to calculate the concentration of a solution.
3. The Rate of Dissolution: Factors and Definition
Learn what dissolution is and the factors that affect the rate of dissolution, such as temperature, surface area, polarity and pressure. Learn what miscible and immiscible mean in regards to liquids.
4. Solubility and Solubility Curves
Learn what solubility is as well as the definitions of 'saturated,' 'unsaturated' and 'supersaturated.' Learn how to determine the solubility of a substance in water by using a solubility curve. Discover the effects of pressure and temperature on the solubility of liquids, solids and gases.
5. Calculating Molarity and Molality Concentration
Learn the abbreviations and meaning of molarity and molality. Then apply what you have learned by going over some sample calculations with given concentrations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis General Science (5435): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis General Science: Methodology, Techniques & History
- Praxis General Science: Matter
- Praxis General Science: Thermodynamics
- Praxis General Science: Periodicity
- Praxis General Science: States of Matter
- Praxis General Science: Bonding & Structure
- Praxis General Science: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- Praxis General Science: Mechanics
- Praxis General Science: Motion & Forces
- Praxis General Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- Praxis General Science: Optics & Waves
- Praxis General Science: Basic Structure & Functions of Cells
- Praxis General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- Praxis General Science: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Praxis General Science: Basic Genetics
- Praxis General Science: Theory & Key Mechanisms of Evolution
- Praxis General Science: Hierarchical Classification Scheme
- Praxis General Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- Praxis General Science: Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Praxis General Science: Key Aspects of Ecology
- Praxis General Science: Physical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Historical Geology
- Praxis General Science: Earth's Bodies of Water
- Praxis General Science: Meteorology & Climate
- Praxis General Science: Astronomy
- Praxis General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- Praxis General Science Flashcards