About This Chapter
Praxis Marketing Education - Information Management: Chapter Summary
Learn about information systems through this online chapter on information management. This series of video lessons can help you prepare for the Praxis Marketing Education test, which most states use as part of the certification process for high school marketing teachers. This chapter also can teach you about various database and spreadsheet software, including Excel, Access, dBase and Lotus 1-2-3, as well as the following information management topics:
- Information systems resources
- Cloud computing and databases
- Database concepts and structures
- Types of data, including text, numbers and multimedia
Praxis Marketing Education - Information Management Objectives
The Praxis Marketing Education test is offered four times a year in a paper-based format. Around 14% of the test's 120 multiple-choice questions cover general business principles; this section could include questions on information management.
Our chapter on information management, which includes brief, engaging video lessons and self-assessment quizzes, can serve as an excellent study guide if you're preparing for the Praxis. The videos have been created by experienced professional educators, and the quiz questions mirror those you'll see on the Praxis Marketing Education test. Rewatch the lessons as often as you need to make sure you understand the materials.
1. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
2. Information Systems Resources: Networks, Hardware, Software, Data & People
What are the resources an information system needs? Discover how networks, hardware, software, data and people work together to create usable information.
3. Management Information Systems: Using Data to Manage Operations
Management information systems (MIS) are an important source of data for any organization. How that data is reviewed and analyzed is the responsibility of the managers, and in this lesson we will describe the role of MIS and how managers can use different types of data MIS can produce.
4. Cloud Computing and Databases: Technology to Improve Database Management
Cloud computing uses a network of computers to provide services that otherwise would be provided by a single computer or computer server. Learn how cloud computing works and how it allows you to use the same database on multiple devices in this video lesson.
5. Database Concepts and Structures: The Elements That Make Up a Database
Learn the fundamental elements of databases and how they are structured. One common data structure is a database table, which uses records and fields to organize data.
6. Types of Data: Text, Numbers & Multimedia
Discuss the basic types of data found in databases. These include character strings, integers, decimals, images, audio, video and other multimedia types.
7. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Marketing Education (5561): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Marketing: Professional Development
- Praxis Marketing: Economics
- Praxis Marketing: Finance
- Praxis Marketing: Types of Business Ownership
- Praxis Marketing: Business Law
- Praxis Marketing: Workers' Rights & Collective Bargaining
- Praxis Marketing: Business Communication
- Praxis Marketing: Management
- Praxis Marketing: Research and Segmentation
- Praxis Marketing: Strategic Planning
- Praxis Marketing: Marketing Channels
- Praxis Marketing: Pricing
- Praxis Marketing: Product Management
- Praxis Marketing: Promotion
- Praxis Marketing: Selling
- Praxis Marketing Education Flashcards