About This Chapter
Praxis Marketing: Professional Development - Chapter Summary
In this series of lessons, you'll gain an understanding of the difference between a job and a career. You'll also understand how to apply for jobs and avoid common missteps in your job-seeking activities. Learn the basics of job searching, how to write a tailor-made resume, how to prepare for your interview, and how professional development can benefit your career in the long-term. You'll also learn about:
- Job application materials
- Preparing a job application
- Interviewing skills and techniques
- Finding job opportunities
- Career growth and goals
The topics in these lessons give you a good idea of what to expect on the Praxis Marketing Education exam. Through self-assessment tools, like quizzes, it will become clear where you're solidly knowledgeable and where you may need to dedicate the time and energy studying for the test.
Praxis Marketing: Professional Development Objectives
Professional development is covered in the marketing education programs section of the Praxis Marketing Education exam. This is a paper-based, 120-question, multiple-choice test. People who sit for this exam are typically preparing for careers as marketing education teachers and seeking jobs at the middle or high school level. These lessons and self-assessment materials can get you ready for the roughly 17 questions (or 14% of the test) that are dedicated to marketing education concepts. These lessons directly relate to concepts like how to cultivate employable skills and how to highlight mastery of those skills through common job-search activities, like resumes and interviews.
1. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
2. Parts of Your Resume: Sections & Relevant Information
An effective resume starts with creating a 3-part summary of your qualifications: work experience, education and personal achievements. Every resume should be tailored specifically to match a job advertisement's requirements.
3. Tailoring the Content of Your Resume for a Job
A job applicant should be knowledgeable of how to tailor the content of their resume for a specific job. A custom, detailed, directed resume offers the best chance of acquiring an interview.
4. Formatting Your Resume: Layout & Distribution Types
Everyone appreciates the importance of a first impression. There are specific layout and distribution types of a resume that can create a professional, visually impressive image in the mind of the reader.
5. The Cover Letter: Importance, Details & Format
The cover letter is a necessity when applying for a job. There is a basic format that you can follow consisting of a salutation, three paragraphs and a close that can be used to get a potential employer's attention.
6. How to Avoid Common Job Application Mistakes
Applying for jobs can be a stressful time but knowing the common mistakes that people make during the application process can help lessen the stress. In this lesson, we'll look at common mistakes people make before and during a job interview.
7. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
8. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
9. Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
There are many career choices out there. How do you decide which one is right for you? In this lesson, we'll examine the different types of career assessments and how they can help you choose the best career.
10. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
11. Career vs. Job: What's the Difference?
Though people often use the terms 'career' and 'job' interchangeably, they aren't the same. In this lesson, we'll look at the difference between a career and a job, and how people should approach them differently.
12. Types of Opportunities to Grow in Your Career
Everyone wants to move forward in their careers, but how can you do that? In this lesson, we'll look at the two major types of career advancement, internal and external, and how to make the best of both.
13. How to Advance in Your Career: Process & Expectations
How do you get a promotion or move to a better job? Watch this lesson for tips and tricks to advance in your career, including how to set goals and be proactive when it comes to career success.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Marketing Education (5561): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Marketing: Economics
- Praxis Marketing: Finance
- Praxis Marketing: Types of Business Ownership
- Praxis Marketing: Business Law
- Praxis Marketing: Workers' Rights & Collective Bargaining
- Praxis Marketing: Business Communication
- Praxis Marketing: Management
- Praxis Marketing: Information Management
- Praxis Marketing: Research and Segmentation
- Praxis Marketing: Strategic Planning
- Praxis Marketing: Marketing Channels
- Praxis Marketing: Pricing
- Praxis Marketing: Product Management
- Praxis Marketing: Promotion
- Praxis Marketing: Selling
- Praxis Marketing Education Flashcards