About This Chapter
Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge - Algebraic Expressions: Chapter Summary
Our online chapter on algebraic expressions can help you prepare for the Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge test, which might be used as part of the high school math teacher certification process in your state. Through the video lessons in this chapter, you'll learn to define, write and evaluate simple algebraic expressions. Other topics covered in this chapter include the following:
- Commutative and associative properties and algebraic expressions
- The distributive property and algebraic expressions
- Combining like terms in algebraic expressions
- Negative signs and simplifying algebraic expressions
- Translating words to algebraic expressions
- Interpreting complicated algebraic expressions
- Rewriting algebraic expressions
Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge - Algebraic Expressions Objectives
You'll have two hours to complete the Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge test, which features 50 multiple-choice questions. Approximately 16% of the test centers on algebra and number theory, which could include questions on algebraic expressions.
You can prepare for the Praxis by watching our video lessons on algebraic expressions. Taught by professional educators, these videos are brief yet comprehensive. Additionally, each lesson is accompanied by a self-assessment quiz that features questions similar to those you'll see on the Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge test.
1. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
2. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
3. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
4. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
5. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
6. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
7. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
8. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
9. Simplifying Complex Rational Expressions
When it comes to fractions, things may seem to get really complicated and scary when you have a fraction on top of a fraction. But never fear, after watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify these expressions like a pro.
10. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
11. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge (5161): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Mathematics: Counting Numbers Properties
- Praxis Mathematics: Rational and Irrational Numbers
- Praxis Mathematics: Solving Problems with Reasoning
- Praxis Mathematics: Percents
- Praxis Mathematics: Ratios and Proportions
- Praxis Mathematics: Scientific Notation & Order of Magnitude
- Praxis Mathematics: Algebraic Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Algebraic Fractions
- Praxis Mathematics: Linear Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Radicals Operations
- Praxis Mathematics: Exponents
- Praxis Mathematics: Distance
- Praxis Mathematics: Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Inverse Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Logarithmic Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Rational Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Complex Numbers Operations
- Praxis Mathematics: Sequences, Series & Probability
- Praxis Mathematics: Combinations & Permutations
- Praxis Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Polynomials
- Praxis Mathematics: Matrix Algebra
- Praxis Mathematics: Algebraic Formulas
- Praxis Mathematics: Measurement
- Praxis Mathematics: Area
- Praxis Mathematics: Polygons
- Praxis Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- Praxis Mathematics: Circles
- Praxis Mathematics: Triangles
- Praxis Mathematics: Congruence, Similarity and Transformations
- Praxis Mathematics: Three-Dimensional Space and Volume
- Praxis Mathematics: Data
- Praxis Mathematics: Distributions
- Praxis Mathematics: Graphing
- Praxis Mathematics: Trigonometry
- Praxis Mathematics: Continuity
- Praxis Mathematics: Asymptotes
- Praxis Mathematics: Limits
- Praxis Mathematics: Derivatives
- Praxis Mathematics: Integrals
- Praxis Mathematics: Optimization and Differentiation
- Praxis Mathematics: Theorems
- Praxis Mathematics: Statistics
- Praxis Mathematics: Interpreting Statistics
- Praxis Mathematics: Understanding Logic
- Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge Flashcards