About This Chapter
Praxis Mathematics: Triangles - Chapter Summary
By watching these video lessons in the Triangle chapter, you can add to and refresh your knowledge of concepts that come up on the Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam. This chapter covers topics including:
- Applications of similar triangles
- Finding distance with the Pythagorean theorem
- How to identify similar triangles
- Median, altitude, and angle bisectors of a triangle
- Problems solving requiring solving right triangles
- Pythagorean theorem
- Solving right triangles
- The Pythagorean theorem: converse and special cases
- The Pythagorean theorem: practice and application
Our video instructors go over the material using clear, everyday language and step-by-step instructions to help make the material easier for you to understand and remember.
Praxis Mathematics: Objectives
The Praxis Mathematics Content Knowledge exam is used to determine your readiness to be licensed as a secondary-school math teacher. The exam looks at your abilities, skill, and knowledge in mathematical connections, problem solving, reasoning and proof, representation, and use of technology.
The test includes 50 questions, all in multiple-choice format. Triangles and the Pythagorean theorem are covered by the geometry portion of the exam, which consists of about five questions, or ten percent of the exam.
Each video lesson comes with a self-assessment quiz. As you complete each lesson, the quiz will help you demonstrate your understanding. These quizzes also allow you to gain experience with the types of questions you'll find on the actual exam.
1. Properties of Shapes: Triangles
Isosceles, equilateral and obtuse, oh my! These are terms for triangles. But, what do they mean? In this lesson, we'll explore the properties of triangles and take a closer look at the different types of triangles you may encounter.
2. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
How much faster is it to cut the corners in a race around the block? In this lesson, review the Pythagorean Theorem, and figure out how to solve without a right triangle.
3. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
4. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
5. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
6. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
7. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
8. Median, Altitude, and Angle Bisectors of a Triangle
Line segments in triangles are just clutter; they have special names and qualities depending on how they're drawn. In this lesson, we'll learn about medians, altitudes and angle bisectors.
9. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge (5161): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Mathematics: Counting Numbers Properties
- Praxis Mathematics: Rational and Irrational Numbers
- Praxis Mathematics: Solving Problems with Reasoning
- Praxis Mathematics: Percents
- Praxis Mathematics: Ratios and Proportions
- Praxis Mathematics: Scientific Notation & Order of Magnitude
- Praxis Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- Praxis Mathematics: Algebraic Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Algebraic Fractions
- Praxis Mathematics: Linear Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Radicals Operations
- Praxis Mathematics: Exponents
- Praxis Mathematics: Distance
- Praxis Mathematics: Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Inverse Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Logarithmic Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Rational Functions
- Praxis Mathematics: Complex Numbers Operations
- Praxis Mathematics: Sequences, Series & Probability
- Praxis Mathematics: Combinations & Permutations
- Praxis Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- Praxis Mathematics: Polynomials
- Praxis Mathematics: Matrix Algebra
- Praxis Mathematics: Algebraic Formulas
- Praxis Mathematics: Measurement
- Praxis Mathematics: Area
- Praxis Mathematics: Polygons
- Praxis Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- Praxis Mathematics: Circles
- Praxis Mathematics: Congruence, Similarity and Transformations
- Praxis Mathematics: Three-Dimensional Space and Volume
- Praxis Mathematics: Data
- Praxis Mathematics: Distributions
- Praxis Mathematics: Graphing
- Praxis Mathematics: Trigonometry
- Praxis Mathematics: Continuity
- Praxis Mathematics: Asymptotes
- Praxis Mathematics: Limits
- Praxis Mathematics: Derivatives
- Praxis Mathematics: Integrals
- Praxis Mathematics: Optimization and Differentiation
- Praxis Mathematics: Theorems
- Praxis Mathematics: Statistics
- Praxis Mathematics: Interpreting Statistics
- Praxis Mathematics: Understanding Logic
- Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge Flashcards