About This Chapter
Praxis Middle School ELA: Writing for Research - Chapter Summary
This chapter seeks to develop your skills in writing for research purposes by focusing on different aspects of citations and sources. These lessons will aid you as you study for the Praxis Middle School ELA exam. They can enhance your abilities to perform the following tasks:
- Find research materials
- Understand different citation styles and formats
- Cite online sources
- Use citations within texts
- Avoid plagiarism through citing sources and paraphrasing
- Develop a works cited page
- Determine the credibility of an author
If you prefer to review these lessons in written form instead of as videos, you may consult the full transcriptions that are provided. After you feel confident in your understanding of each lesson's content, please take its corresponding self-assessment quiz to gauge your level of comprehension. At the close of the chapter, you may take a cumulative exam that will serve as an additional form of practice for the Praxis Middle School ELA exam itself.
1. Tips for Locating Research Materials
The process of preparing a research paper for academic or employment purposes can be a difficult task. There are some basic tips for how to locate research materials such as online, books, periodicals, etc.
2. Citation: Styles & Formats
Learn about citation styles and their formats. Find out how different citation styles should appear within an academic paper, then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
3. Online Sources: Definition & Citations
Find out what online sources are and how to cite them in your research paper or essay. Learn some tips on evaluating online sources. After the lesson, take a quick quiz to test your knowledge.
4. How to Make In-Text Citations
With this lesson, you'll get to know the basics of creating in-text citations. We'll go over both MLA and APA style parenthetical citations and how to use them to cite different types of sources.
5. How to Avoid Plagiarism: When to Cite Sources
Plagiarism is a very serious matter in both academia and professional writing. Plagiarism in an academic setting can lead to you failing a course or being removed from school completely. Plagiarism in professional writing can lead to being fired from a job or finding yourself in court being sued. Let's figure out how to avoid this issue!
6. Avoiding Plagiarism: How to Quote and Paraphrase in Your Writing
Learn how to avoid plagiarism by giving clear credit to your sources by directly quoting or paraphrasing them and properly citing them in the following video!
7. How to Make a Works Cited Page
You will have to cite your sources properly whenever you borrow words or ideas for a paper. One part of proper citation is the Works Cited page. This lesson shows you how to put one together.
8. Author Credibility: Definition & Examples
Find out what author credibility is and how it makes a difference to your research paper. Learn how to determine author credibility and where to find reliable sources.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Middle School English Language Arts (5047): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Prominent Authors
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Influential Poets
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Literary Periods
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Literary Genres
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Literary Subgenres
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Theme & Inference
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Literary Elements
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Word Choice in Literature
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Poetry & Poetic Devices
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Literacy Skills
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Informational Texts
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Rhetoric
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Language & Vocabulary
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Language & Syntax
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Language & Word Meaning
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Writing
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Speech
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Teaching Strategies
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Instructional Technology
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Differentiated Instruction
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Teaching Literacy
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Student Assessment
- Praxis Middle School ELA: Student Motivation & Reflection
- Praxis Middle School English Language Arts Flashcards