About This Chapter
Praxis Middle School Science: Bodies of Water - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers the behaviors and characteristics of the bodies of water on our planet, which will be addressed on the Praxis Middle School Science exam. You'll take a look at active and passive continental margins, among other topics. The video lessons will help you with the following skills you'll need to demonstrate for the test:
- Identify the stages of the water cycle
- Understand how water is distributed on Earth
- Characterize composition and attributes of brackish, fresh, and salt water
- Explore ocean facts, circulation, waves and zones
- Define ocean basins and ridges
- Explain glacier types and processes
- Define groundwater and groundwater systems
- Examine estuary characteristics
- Identify the steps and stages of island, reef and atoll formation
You can follow along at your own pace as our instructor-led videos walk you through each concept. Take the short quizzes to check your understanding, and access the lessons on any device.
1. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
2. The Distribution of Water on Earth
Water covers most of Earth but in a variety of forms. In this video lesson you will learn about how water is distributed on Earth, though you may be surprised to find out just how little of it we can access!
3. What Are Glaciers? - Definition, Types & Processes
Learn about the two major types of glaciers: continental and alpine glaciers. These glaciers shape the landscape around them and affect our everyday lives, even if the nearest glacier is thousands of miles away.
4. Chemical Composition & Physical Attributes of Fresh, Brackish & Salt Water
Discover the differences between fresh, brackish, and saltwater. Learn about their chemical and physical features. Afterward, see how well you know the differences by taking a quiz.
5. Oceans: Facts & Information
Over fifty percent of the world's population lives near a coastline. The oceans of the world affect our everyday lives, from recreation to resources, to climate. Learn some fun facts about this unique feature of our planet!
6. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
7. Waves: Types, Features & Effect on Erosion
There are different types of ocean waves, including wind waves, tsunamis and tidal waves. Learn the features of waves and how their erosive effect creates the unique features found on the shoreline.
8. Characteristics of Different Ocean Zones
The oceans can be divided into horizontal and vertical zones. These divisions help us better understand the characteristics of these vast bodies of water. Learn what these zones are in this lesson.
9. Active & Passive Continental Margins
Continental margins are areas that separate the continental crust and oceanic crust. Discover the differences between the tectonically active continental margins and the relatively quiet passive continental margins.
10. Ocean Basins: Definition, Formation, Features & Types
Ocean basins are those areas found under the sea. They can be relatively inactive areas where deposits of sediment slowly collect or active areas where tectonic plates meet. Learn how ocean basins form and about features such as oceanic ridges and trenches.
11. Estuary: Definition, Facts, Characteristics & Examples
Have you ever gone swimming, kayaking, or exploring in a marshy coastal area? If so, you were enjoying the natural beauty of an estuary, a place where rivers meet large bodies of water. These unique ecosystems are important, but also under threat.
12. Island, Reef & Atoll Formation: Steps & Stages
Special features form in oceans where the water is relatively warm, and volcanic activity was present at some point in time. This lesson will go through the process involved in forming islands, reefs, and atolls.
13. What is Groundwater? - Definition & Explanation
Groundwater accounts for up to 20% of all the fresh water on Earth. This lesson will explain what ground water is and its important aspects. Once you've finished the lesson, test your understanding with a quiz.
14. Oceanic Ridge System: Formation & Distribution
The oceanic ridge system is a continuous underwater mountain range with parts found in every ocean of the world. The ridge system is created when magma rising between diverging plates of the lithosphere cools and forms a new layer of crust.
15. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Middle School Science (5440): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Middle School Science: Scientific Methodology
- Praxis Middle School Science: Matter
- Praxis Middle School Science: Energy
- Praxis Middle School Science: Thermodynamics
- Praxis Middle School Science: Atomic Structure
- Praxis Middle School Science: Mechanics in Physics
- Praxis Middle School Science: Newton's Laws of Motion
- Praxis Middle School Science: Laws of Gravitation
- Praxis Middle School Science: Work, Energy & Power
- Praxis Middle School Science: Fluid Mechanics
- Praxis Middle School Science: Electrical Forces & Fields
- Praxis Middle School Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- Praxis Middle School Science: Waves & Optics
- Praxis Middle School Science: Periodic Table
- Praxis Middle School Science: Chemical Bonding & Compounds
- Praxis Middle School Science: Gases
- Chemical Equations & Stoichiometry
- Praxis Middle School Science: Chemical Kinetics
- Praxis Middle School Science: Chemical Equilibrium
- Praxis Middle School Science: Oxidation Reduction
- Praxis Middle School Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- Praxis Middle School Science: Solutions & Solubility
- Praxis Middle School Science: Cell Biology
- Praxis Middle School Science: Prokaryotic Cells
- Praxis Middle School Science: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- Praxis Middle School Science: Biochemistry
- Praxis Middle School Science: Basic Genetics
- Praxis Middle School Science: Evolution
- Praxis Middle School Science: Biological Classification
- Praxis Middle School Science: Plant Cells
- Praxis Middle School Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- Praxis Middle School Science: Homeostasis of Organisms
- Praxis Middle School Science: Human Body Systems
- Praxis Middle School Science: Human Reproduction & Development
- Praxis Middle School Science: Key Aspects of Ecology
- Praxis Middle School Science: Biodiversity
- Praxis Middle School Science: Minerals & Rocks
- Praxis Middle School Science: Changes to Earth's Surfaces
- Praxis Middle School Science: Earth's Structure
- Praxis Middle School Science: Historical Geology
- Praxis Middle School Science: Meteorology & Climate
- Understanding Climate Change
- The Earth, Moon & Sun
- Celestial Bodies in Our Solar System
- The Big Bang & Extrasolar Astronomy
- Praxis Middle School Science: Technology & Society
- Praxis Middle School Science Flashcards