About This Chapter
Praxis II Physics: Potential & Capacitance - Chapter Summary
Going through each lesson in this chapter gives you the chance to pick up important information about physics-related topics such as potential and capacitance. These topics include:
- The units and formula of capacitance
- Parts of fixed and variable capacitors
- The movement of charge
- Different sources of voltage
- The definition of electric potential energy
- Potential of cylinders and spheres
- Ohm's Law
The lessons in this chapter are designed to facilitate your learning, giving you the right preparation for answering questions on the Praxis II Physics exam.
1. Electric Field & the Movement of Charge
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what an electric field is, draw electric field lines and vectors for charged particles, and complete calculations involving electric fields. A short quiz will follow.
2. Voltage Sources: Energy Conversion and Examples
We use them every day, but no one really gives them much thought. What are we talking about? Why, voltage sources, of course! Batteries and generators are two of the most common sources of voltage that power our daily lives. We'll look at them in detail to see how they work.
3. Electric Potential Energy: Definition & Formula
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what electric potential energy is and use an equation to solve electric potential energy problems involving point charges. A short quiz will follow.
4. Capacitance: Units & Formula
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a capacitor is, define capacitance, and solve simple problems using capacitance equations. A short quiz will follow.
5. Fixed & Variable Capacitors: Parts & Types
Capacitors are devices that store electrical energy. In this lesson, we will explore the various types of capacitors, how they work, and how to calculate equivalent capacitance.
6. Capacitors: Construction, Charging & Discharging
Electrical circuits have several components, each of which must be understood for the system to work. We're going to check out capacitors in this lesson and see how they can be used to control an electric current.
7. Ohm's Law: Definition & Relationship Between Voltage, Current & Resistance
Did you know that electrical current is affected by the voltage and resistance in a circuit? In this lesson, we'll use Ohm's law, which tells us how current, voltage, and resistance are related, as we work through several electric circuit examples.
8. The Potential of a Sphere
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what electric potential is, state and use the equation for the potential of a sphere, and plot a graph of electric potential with radius. A short quiz will follow.
9. The Potential of a Cylinder
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what electric potential is and solve problems using an expression for the electric potential of a cylinder. In AP Physics C, you should be able to derive the expression. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physics (5265): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Physics: Scientific Inquiry & Social Perspective
- Praxis Physics: Scientific Procedures & Techniques
- Praxis Physics: Vectors & Scalars
- Praxis Physics: Kinematics
- Praxis Physics: Motion
- Praxis Physics: Oscillations
- Praxis Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- Praxis Physics: Linear Momentum
- Praxis Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- Praxis Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- Praxis Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- Praxis Physics: Electrical Forces & Fields
- Praxis Physics: Direct Current Circuits
- Praxis Physics: Magnetism
- Praxis Physics: Optics & Waves
- Praxis Physics: Heat, Energy & Thermodynamics
- Praxis Physics: Modern Physics & Atomic Structure
- Praxis Physics: Content Knowledge Flashcards