About This Chapter
Praxis Physics: Work, Energy & Power - Chapter Summary
The application of work, energy and power play a critical part in the entire process of physics. This collection of video lessons looks at all three terms as you get ready to gain your certification with the Praxis Physics exam. Aside from an overview of the above topics, you can expect to study the following which are included in this chapter:
- Work by variable force
- Types of energy
- The work-energy theorem
- Mechanics of pulleys
- Conservation of mechanical energy
- The mathematics of power
This chapter is optimized to be viewed on all mobile devices, so it is easy and convenient for you to squeeze in a study session while you are away from your computer. In addition, the timeline feature located below the presentation makes it simple for you to resume your session wherever you left off, no matter if you started on-the-go or at home.
Praxis Physics: Work, Energy & Power - Chapter Objectives
Physics teachers have different certification requirements according to each state. The Praxis Physics exam is a general test that grants the credentials for many different grade levels. Work, energy and power all make appearances in the Mechanics section of the test, a selected-response section that takes up about thirty-two percent of the entire exam.
1. Overview of Work & Work by Variable Force
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what work is, and how to calculate work using the equation, and a force-distance graph. A short quiz will follow.
2. Energy: Definition & Types
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what energy is, list various types of energy, and identify which type or types of energy are present in a situation.
3. Work-Energy Theorem: Definition and Application
Work and energy are closely related in physics. In this lesson, you'll learn what that relationship is as well as how we can apply it to various situations.
4. Pulleys: Basic Mechanics
Like other simple machines, pulleys can help us lift and move heavy loads with less effort. In this video lesson, you'll learn how pulleys do this as well as how this is possible while still obeying the law of conservation of energy.
5. Conservation of Mechanical Energy
Energy comes in many forms and for any system can never be created or destroyed. This holds true for mechanical energy, which also obeys this law of conservation of energy. In this video lesson, you'll explore how mechanical energy is converted or transferred between forms and objects.
6. Power: Definition and Mathematics
Work involves moving an object with a force, but power tells us how quickly that work is done. In this lesson, you will learn about how power depends on both work and time as well as see examples of how to calculate power.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physics (5265): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Physics: Scientific Inquiry & Social Perspective
- Praxis Physics: Scientific Procedures & Techniques
- Praxis Physics: Vectors & Scalars
- Praxis Physics: Kinematics
- Praxis Physics: Motion
- Praxis Physics: Oscillations
- Praxis Physics: Linear Momentum
- Praxis Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- Praxis Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- Praxis Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- Praxis Physics: Electrical Forces & Fields
- Praxis Physics: Potential & Capacitance
- Praxis Physics: Direct Current Circuits
- Praxis Physics: Magnetism
- Praxis Physics: Optics & Waves
- Praxis Physics: Heat, Energy & Thermodynamics
- Praxis Physics: Modern Physics & Atomic Structure
- Praxis Physics: Content Knowledge Flashcards