About This Chapter
1. What Are Nutrients? - Definition & Examples
This lesson is about nutrients, which are the building blocks of all living organisms. This lesson will explain what nutrients are, the different kinds of nutrients and offer examples of each.
2. Minerals: Functions & Food Sources
Have you ever wondered the role and function that minerals play in our nutrition? Learn more about minerals and their sources and test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Vitamins: Functions & Food Sources
Have you ever wondered the role and function that vitamins play in our nutrition? Learn more about vitamins and their sources and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Proteins: Food Sources & Recommended Intakes
Do you know which foods provide the best source for protein? Learn about both animal-based and plant-based foods that contain protein in this lesson. It will also show you how much protein you should consume each day to stay healthy and avoid disease.
5. What Are Carbohydrates? - Sources & Intake Guidelines
Do you know which foods contain carbohydrates? Learn sources of both simple and complex carbohydrates, as well as how many carbs you should consume each day to stay healthy and avoid disease, in this lesson.
6. Foods That Are Sources of Lipids
Fats add flavor to the foods you love. Yet, eating too many unhealthy fats, such as saturated fats, trans fats and cholesterol, can lead to health problems. Learn which foods contain these unhealthy fats and which ones contain fats that promote health in this lesson.
7. What is Digestion? - Definition & Process
This lesson will define the process of digestion. All parts of the gastrointestinal system will be discussed. Examples will be given when possible, and you'll have an opportunity to test your knowledge.
8. Small Intestine: Nutrient Absorption and Role In Digestion
The majority of digestion and absorption of nutrients takes place in the small intestine. In this lesson, you will learn about unique modifications within the walls of the small intestine, such as microvilli, villi, and circular folds. These structures increase absorption of nutrients.
9. Assimilation of Food in the Digestive System
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the biological process of assimilation and its role in the digestive system. We'll learn how this happens in humans and compare it to other animals.
10. Nutrient Deficiencies: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will explain what nutrient deficiencies are, and how deficiencies of certain vitamins and minerals occur. Next, we will review what problems are associated with these deficiencies.
11. What is Genetically Modified Food?
In this lesson, we will explore a recent advancement in agriculture known as genetic engineering. We'll look at how it's used to create genetically modified foods and also examine the advantages and disadvantages of these types of foods.
12. What Is Food Insecurity? - Definition, Impact & Prevention Efforts
Although every human on Earth has to eat to survive, the amount of food consumed varies a great deal by region. In this lesson, we will explore the concept of food insecurity and the issues that are causing it. We will also discuss prevention methods in place to try to combat food insecurity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Family & Consumer Sciences (5122): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis: Families & Relationships
- Praxis: Human Development
- Praxis: Early Childhood Education
- Praxis: Financial Literacy
- Praxis: Individual & Family Resources
- Praxis: Careers & Consumer Education
- Praxis: Food Science & Safety
- Praxis: Culinary Arts
- Praxis: Wellness & Dietary Guidelines
- Praxis: Housing & Interior Design
- Praxis: Textiles, Fashion & Apparel
- Praxis: Family & Consumer Science Education
- Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Flashcards