About This Chapter
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. Factors that Influence Dietary Choices: Gender, Culture & Other Issues
You are a unique person and therefore, the dietary choices you make should be well-suited to who you are and what you do. The factors that influence these choices will be the focus of this lesson.
3. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
4. What is a Balanced Diet? - Definition, Plans & Examples
In this lesson, we'll be covering the much-debated topic of what a balanced diet is. Here, you'll learn to sort through all the fad diets and understand which nutrients really contribute to a healthy, balanced diet.
5. Imbalanced Diet: Effects & Causes
This lesson discusses an imbalanced diet. You'll learn the nutrients that may be in excess or in deficiency, what the causes of an imbalanced diet may be, and the potential consequences of an imbalanced diet.
6. Healthy Diet Planning Guidelines: Nutrients & Food Groups
The USDA and Health and Human Services developed dietary guidelines for Americans that outline diet and lifestyle recommendations. Learn how these guidelines, along with the USDA food guides, can be used to help you develop a healthy eating plan in this video lesson.
7. How to Create a Healthy Eating Plan
Would you like to know what goes into creating a healthy eating plan? Learn how to evaluate your current food intake, find your nutritional needs, choose the right foods and assess your progress to create a plan that meets your nutritional needs.
8. Children's Nutritional Needs
In this lesson, you will learn about the nutritional needs for preschoolers and school age children. You will gain an understanding of recommended caloric requirements and food choices.
9. Nutrition During Adolescence
In this lesson, you will learn about nutritional needs during adolescence and how they differ from younger children's needs. You will also gain an understanding of nutrition-related concerns for adolescents, as well as specific dietary recommendations.
10. Nutrition Needs During Adulthood
In this lesson, you will learn about nutritional requirements during adulthood. You will also gain an understanding of nutrition-related concerns facing grown-ups, as well as daily dietary recommendations for adults.
11. The Federal Government's Role in Public Health Information
Have you ever wondered where you can get accurate and readily-digestible information about your health, drug recalls, or the spread of the flu during winter? Well, many federal government agencies, such as the CDC, FDA and NIH, are responsible for this.
12. How to Read Food Labels: Understanding Claims & Components
The nutritional facts label provides information about the nutrient content of a food item. Learn about the components found on the label, as well as additional nutrient content claims and health claims that food manufacturers can add to packaging in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Family & Consumer Sciences (5122): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis: Families & Relationships
- Praxis: Human Development
- Praxis: Early Childhood Education
- Praxis: Financial Literacy
- Praxis: Individual & Family Resources
- Praxis: Careers & Consumer Education
- Praxis: Food Science & Safety
- Praxis: Culinary Arts
- Praxis: Nutrition
- Praxis: Housing & Interior Design
- Praxis: Textiles, Fashion & Apparel
- Praxis: Family & Consumer Science Education
- Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Flashcards