About This Chapter
Pre-War Stalinism - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to study the political and social climate of the Soviet Union prior to World War II and under Joseph Stalin's rule. After summarizing the life of Stalin, you'll examine the policies, plans and actions of his reign. You'll also review information about life in the USSR during this time period. Each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you review the information, and the chapter concludes with a comprehensive exam. If you need assistance, our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. For your convenience, we've made the chapter available 24/7 and accessible at any time that fits your schedule. Reviewing this chapter will help you:
- Assess the life and career of Joseph Stalin
- Recognize purges and policies under Stalin's leadership
- Evaluate Stalin's collectivization and industrialization plans
- Summarize Stalin's Reign of Terror
- Describe life in the USSR under Stalin's rule
- Recognize the characteristics of the socialist realism art form
1. Joseph Stalin: Biography, Facts & Timeline
Joseph Stalin is a man who defines the phrase cult of personality. He killed millions of his own people, enslaved millions more in a prison system set up in the middle of nowhere while ruling with an iron fist.
2. The Soviet Union Under Stalin: Five-Year Plans, Purges & Policies
In this lesson, we explore the brutal rule of Joseph Stalin in the Soviet Union, from 1928 to 1953. Stalin radically transformed the economy of the Soviet Union, while also terrorizing its people.
3. Stalin's Five Year Plans: Collectivization & Industrialization
In this lesson we will learn about Stalin's Five-Year Plans, which were meant to transform the Soviet Union into an industrialized nation. We will learn some of their successes, and the large human cost of the plans.
4. Joseph Stalin's Reign of Terror
Stalin's reign was full of terror but especially so in the years 1936-1938 when many loyal members of the Communist Party were arrested and sent to labor camps or killed. In this lesson, you'll learn some details about Stalin's terror and some of the historical debates about the terror.
5. Life in the USSR Under Stalin: Nationalities & Culture
Joseph Stalin molded the polyethnic USSR in his own image. This lesson explores Stalin's relationship with the USSR's ethnic groups and his overall impact on Russian culture and society before WWII.
6. Socialist Realism: Definition, Music & Artists
Is socialist realism a form of art or a tool for political manipulation? This lesson will look at the origins of this uniquely Soviet form, including some key artists and musicians who made art for the state.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST History of the Soviet Union: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Russian History in 16-18th Century
- Nineteenth Century Russia
- The Russian Revolutionary Period
- The Soviet Union & The Second World War
- Post-War Stalinism & The Cold War
- The Khrushchev Years of the Cold War
- The Brezhnev Years of the Cold War
- Proxy Wars During the Cold War
- Reform & Collapse in the USSR
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST History of the Soviet Union Flashcards