About This Chapter
Pregnancy & Newborn Care - Chapter Summary
Pregnancy, childbirth and infancy all require specific healthcare considerations and specific knowledge from healthcare providers working in this field. If you would like to learn about nursing care for pregnancy and newborns, you can watch the video lessons and read over the texts that are included in this chapter.
These lessons will provide you with the definitions of important medical terminology related to pregnancy, childbirth and post-natal care. You will learn about anatomical and physiological issues related to pregnancy and childbirth, and the specific ways to care for newborn children. Included in this chapter are lessons on:
- The uterine cycle
- Nutrition in prenatal care
- Pregnancy anatomy and physiology
- Fetal development
- Childbirth terminology
- Postnatal newborn care
- Postpartum depression
- Newborns and their reflexes, growth and development
- Human stages of development
When using these lessons as learning guides, you will benefit from the expertise and teaching experience of all of our lesson instructors. The chapter also allows you to message the lesson instructors directly, should you desire further information or clarification on certain points. When you feel confident in your understanding of these topics, you can test your knowledge by answering the questions in the chapter's practice quizzes and final exam.
1. The Uterine Cycle: Menses
Each month the female's uterus prepares for the potential of pregnancy. However, pregnancy doesn't occur the majority of the time. In those months, the female's uterus has to 'reset' itself for the next month. It does that during the first phase of the uterine cycle, menses.
2. Prenatal Care: Vitamins and Minerals
We all know that nutrition is important, and part of nutrition is getting enough vitamins and minerals. But how does that change when a woman gets pregnant? Learn about some of the vitamins and minerals that are essential during pregnancy.
3. Prenatal Care: Nutrition
Does the saying 'You're now eating for two' mean that a pregnant women should double her caloric intake? What types of foods are needed during pregnancy? What about foods to avoid? Learn this and more in this lesson on prenatal nutrition.
4. Anatomy & Physiology of Pregnancy
We know a woman's uterus can house a baby, but did you ever wonder what it looks like inside? Or, how the baby gets food? In this lesson, you'll learn about what the fetal environment inside the uterus actually looks like.
5. The Fetal Period of Pregnancy: Definition & Development
The fetal stage of pregnancy is a critical developmental phase for an unborn child. Many key changes take place to prepare the child for independent living outside of the womb. This article discusses the critical time periods within the fetal stage of development.
6. Pregnancy & Childbirth-Related Diagnosis Vocabulary
This lesson covers the common diagnostic tests that are done for pregnancy and childbirth. We look at what the tests are screening for and possible outcomes.
7. Pregnancy & Childbirth-Related Treatment Vocabulary
This lesson will cover the treatments that are available for pregnancy- and childbirth-related issues. We will look at when and why they are used in relation to infertility and other conditions associated with pregnancy and childbirth.
8. Important Terms Related to Childbirth
This lesson defines and discusses the terms that are most commonly associated with childbirth and the period immediately following childbirth. A short quiz follows the lesson.
9. What Is Oxytocin? - Definition, Function & Side Effects
Oxytocin, otherwise known as the love hormone, is released by the pituitary gland and is responsible for human behaviors associated with relationships and bonding. It is most commonly used to help mothers produce contractions in labor and control bleeding.
10. What is Postpartum Depression? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Postpartum depression affects about 14% of women who give birth each year. The following lesson provides a definition of postpartum depression, symptoms and common treatment suggestions for the issue.
11. Postnatal Care and SIDS
This lesson will address the often heard debate about breastfeeding vs. using baby formula in terms of which one is more beneficial. We'll also look into sudden infant death syndrome.
12. Identifying the Reflexes of Newborns
Reflexes allow babies to survive the first few years of life. In this lesson, we'll look at some of the major reflexes of infants, including those that indicate a healthy nervous system response and those designed to help a baby feed itself.
13. The Newborn: Capabilities, Growth, and Developmental Milestones
Newborn growth and development is an amazing process! In this lesson, you will discover how babies learn, when they acquire certain abilities, and what reflexes they are born with.
14. Human Development Stages From Infancy to Late Adulthood
Human development is a process that continues throughout our lives. This lesson will take a look at the progression of human development from infancy to late adulthood with all the stages in between.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards