About This Chapter
Prenatal and Human Development - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, instructors explain how human life develops in the prenatal environment and some potential hazards to healthy development. You'll be introduced to the impact of a mother's physical and emotional states on the prenatal environment.
You'll learn about: cognitive, social, and emotional development; physical development; and gender differences related to the nature vs nurture debate. Also discussed is the impact of both genetics and the environment on human development. When you've completed this chapter, you will have covered:
- Prenatal development and care
- Physical development in early and middle childhood
- Physical, sexual, and mental development in adolescence
- Physical and cognitive development in early and middle adulthood
- Physical, sexual, and mental development in late adulthood
Use our video lessons to help you understand the developmental process. Professional instructors give you tools such as clickable keywords with links to text explanations, transcripts so you can read along, and bookmarks to the important points in the video to make your learning experience as easy as possible.
1. Prenatal Care: Nutrition
Does the saying 'You're now eating for two' mean that a pregnant women should double her caloric intake? What types of foods are needed during pregnancy? What about foods to avoid? Learn this and more in this lesson on prenatal nutrition.
2. Prenatal Care: Avoiding Drugs and Environmental Hazards
Illicit drugs and environmental hazards all pose risks to the health and safety of all people. But they also pose a danger to an unborn child. This lesson will go over some major contaminants and drugs and how they can impact a baby in a mother exposed to them.
3. Prenatal Care: Physical Activity and Mental/Emotional Health
In this lesson, you'll learn about the importance of physical, mental, and emotional health during pregnancy and how they can impact a pregnant woman and the unborn child.
4. How Genetics and the Environment Interact in Human Development
Everyone is different. But what makes a person unique? In this lesson, we'll examine the way genes and the environment affect who a person is, including looking at the nature vs. nurture debate and looking at how nature and nurture influence one another.
5. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
6. Nutrition, Health, and Safety in Early Childhood
As children grow and develop, so do threats to their health. From nutrition and childhood obesity to accidents, this lesson will explore the issues that face children in early childhood and what parents can do to deal with them.
7. Physical Development in Middle Childhood
Between the ages of seven and twelve, children physically grow and change in ways that influence every part of their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at the ways that physical and brain development impact emotional and intellectual abilities.
8. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
9. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
10. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
11. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
12. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
13. Physical Development in Middle Adulthood
Middle age comes with many new physical challenges, from wrinkles to hearing loss to weight gain. This lesson examines many of the signs of aging that are common in middle adulthood and how people can fight middle age weight gain.
14. Cognitive Development in Adults
As people age, they discover that their thought processes change. Though some cognitive abilities decrease in middle age, some increase. In this lesson, we'll look at how executive functioning and wisdom increase in middle age.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health EC-12 (157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Body Systems
- Maintaining Healthy Body Systems
- Nutritional Disorders
- Physical Fitness
- Communicable Diseases
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Understanding the Immune System
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Families & Family Issues
- Health & Healthy Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Safety, Accidents & Emergencies
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
- Substance Abuse & Addiction
- Community & Environmental Health
- Health Skills & Resources
- Health-Related Products & Services
- Health Education
- TExES Health EC-12 Flashcards