About This Chapter
Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth - Chapter Summary
This engaging chapter covers childbirth, prenatal care and fetal development through a series of bite-sized lessons. You'll study the vocabulary associated with human pregnancy, the fetal period of pregnancy and hazards to healthy prenatal development. Additional lessons outline the impact of the mother's physical and emotional state on the prenatal environment, complications before and during childbirth and different types of labor complications. Once you finish this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Detail the health risks associated with teen pregnancy
- Outline the risks of later-in-life pregnancies
- Identify the three stages of labor
- Discuss the various methods of childbirth
- Explain the use of the Apgar test in the neonatal environment
- Describe the growth and developmental milestones of a newborn
- Define SIDS and how it relates to postnatal care
- Determine the types, causes and prevention of birth defects
Take your time as you review these lessons, and feel free to visit them as many times as you need. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz to test your knowledge. If you have any questions as you complete the chapter, submit them through the Dashboard for one of our subject matter experts to answer.
1. Human Pregnancy Vocabulary
In this video, you'll learn how to speak the language of pregnancy as we explore the meaning of terms related to pregnancy, like trimesters, due date, quickening, Braxton Hicks contractions, viable, antepartum, and postpartum.
2. The Fetal Period of Pregnancy: Definition & Development
The fetal stage of pregnancy is a critical developmental phase for an unborn child. Many key changes take place to prepare the child for independent living outside of the womb. This article discusses the critical time periods within the fetal stage of development.
3. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
4. The Impact of Mother's Emotional and Physical State on the Prenatal Environment
An unborn child and its mother are connected both physically and emotionally. Learn how prenatal development is affected by both the emotional and physical state of the mother in this lesson.
5. Complications that Can Arise Before or During Childbirth
This lesson discusses the different kinds of complications that might arise during pregnancy and during childbirth. Issues like placenta previa and breech will be covered.
6. Types of Labor Complication: Preterm, Miscarriages and Stillbirths
Along with the joys of finding out you or a loved one is pregnant also comes lots of new words and things to learn. This lesson will help introduce you to some of the terms concerning labor that you or your loved one might hear as you talk with your doctor or read all those baby pamphlets.
7. Health Risks Associated with Teen Pregnancy
In this lesson, we will review some of the common risks associated with teenage pregnancy, and learn how we can increase good outcomes for both the mother and baby.
8. The Risk of Giving Birth Later In Life
As a woman ages, the chances that she will have problems during pregnancy, birth, and thereafter increase. That's in addition to the potential problems the child may face. Find out about the risks of giving birth later in life in this lesson.
9. The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental
You may think of the process of labor and childbirth as one long event, but it is actually divided into different stages. Learn about each of the three stages of labor in this lesson.
10. Childbirth Methods: Natural Delivery, Medicated Delivery & C-Section
Birth is one of the first major developmental milestones, but there are many different ways to give birth. In this lesson, we'll look at three popular methods of childbirth: natural childbirth, medicated childbirth, and C-sections.
11. The Neonatal Environment: Definition & Apgar Test
The neonatal period lasts from birth until four weeks old. Care during this period is essential to healthy development. In this lesson, explore the neonatal environment and learn how the Apgar test is used to assess newborn functioning.
12. The Newborn: Capabilities, Growth, and Developmental Milestones
Newborn growth and development is an amazing process! In this lesson, you will discover how babies learn, when they acquire certain abilities, and what reflexes they are born with.
13. Postnatal Care and SIDS
This lesson will address the often heard debate about breastfeeding vs. using baby formula in terms of which one is more beneficial. We'll also look into sudden infant death syndrome.
14. What are Birth Defects? - Causes, Types & Prevention
Birth defects are abnormalities caused by genetics or exposure to harmful substances in the womb. This lesson discusses causes and types of birth defects as well as their prevention. It wraps up with a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards