About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding life span developmental material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding prenatal stages and environments, ovulation, implantation and gastrulation, among other related topics.
- Need an efficient way to learn about prenatal concepts.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Prenatal Development Concepts chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Prenatal Development Concepts chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What occurs during the ovulation and implantation processes?
- How are the amnion, fetus, placenta and umbilical cord structured?
- What are the three germ layers?
- What stages occur during prenatal brain development?
- How does environment affect prenatal health?
- What roles do the mother's emotional and physical state play in the prenatal environment?
1. Ovulation to Implantation: Oocyte's Path through Uterine Tubes
Follow the female's egg as it leaves the ovary and travels down the uterine tube on its way to the uterus - all with hopes of meeting up with a male's sperm along the way.
2. Prenatal Stages and Development: Germinal, Embryonic & Fetal Period
In the 9 months before a baby is born, there is an enormous amount of prenatal development. In this lesson, you will explore the following stages of prenatal development: the germinal period, the embryonic period, and the fetal period.
3. Principles of Growth and Development
Is there a pattern to how human growth and development takes place? This lesson will examine some universal principles of growth and development in order to help you find the answer to this question.
4. The Placenta and the Fetus: Structure and Function
Have you ever wondered how a baby eats before it's born or if babies go to the bathroom while still inside their mother? In this lesson, you will learn about the placenta and how it works to ensure a fetus stays well-nourished and healthy before birth.
5. The Amnion and the Umbilical Cord: Structure and Function
The prenatal environment is an important part of an embryo's development. Watch this lesson to find out more about the prenatal environment, including the importance of the amnion and umbilical cord and what they do.
6. Gastrulation and the 3 Germ Layers (Ectoderm, Endoderm & Mesoderm)
Gastrulation is a key process in embryonic development - it's how a simple ball of cells begins to grow into a fully functioning being! Watch this lesson to learn about a key process in the development of almost all multicellular organisms.
7. Prenatal Stages of Brain Development
The prenatal brain develops at an amazing speed. This lesson provides an overview of this brain development throughout the three trimesters of pregnancy and highlights key stages.
8. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
9. The Impact of Mother's Emotional and Physical State on the Prenatal Environment
An unborn child and its mother are connected both physically and emotionally. Learn how prenatal development is affected by both the emotional and physical state of the mother in this lesson.
10. Prenatal Genetic Counseling and Assessment
When expecting a baby, many couples are concerned with the possibility of something being wrong with the baby's health. In this lesson, we'll explore genetic counseling, including who should consider it and what to expect.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Span Developmental Psychology: Help and Review course
- Domains of Human Development: Help and Review
- Life Span Development Research Methods: Help & Review
- Help & Review for Life Span Developmental Psychology Foundations
- Impact of Genetics in Development & Psychology: Help & Review
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood: Help and Review
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Cognitive & Psychosocial Development in Infants & Toddlers
- Help & Review for Physical & Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood: Help and Review
- Help & Review - Psychosocial & Physical Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood: Help and Review
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence: Help and Review
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Physical & Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood: Help and Review
- Cognitive & Physical Development in Middle Adulthood: Help & Review
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood: Help and Review
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood: Help and Review
- Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood: Help & Review
- Death and Dying - Stages and Psychological Impact