About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your prenatal development concepts homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample questions and get instant feedback.
- Finish your prenatal development concepts homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Conception process
- Prenatal stages of development
- Structure and function of the placenta, fetus, amnion and umbilical cord
- Layers of the embryo
- Prenatal environment and teratogens
- Effects of the mother's physical and emotional condition
- Genetic assessment and counseling
1. Ovulation to Implantation: Oocyte's Path through Uterine Tubes
Follow the female's egg as it leaves the ovary and travels down the uterine tube on its way to the uterus - all with hopes of meeting up with a male's sperm along the way.
2. Prenatal Stages and Development: Germinal, Embryonic & Fetal Period
In the 9 months before a baby is born, there is an enormous amount of prenatal development. In this lesson, you will explore the following stages of prenatal development: the germinal period, the embryonic period, and the fetal period.
3. Principles of Growth and Development
Is there a pattern to how human growth and development takes place? This lesson will examine some universal principles of growth and development in order to help you find the answer to this question.
4. The Placenta and the Fetus: Structure and Function
Have you ever wondered how a baby eats before it's born or if babies go to the bathroom while still inside their mother? In this lesson, you will learn about the placenta and how it works to ensure a fetus stays well-nourished and healthy before birth.
5. The Amnion and the Umbilical Cord: Structure and Function
The prenatal environment is an important part of an embryo's development. Watch this lesson to find out more about the prenatal environment, including the importance of the amnion and umbilical cord and what they do.
6. Gastrulation and the 3 Germ Layers (Ectoderm, Endoderm & Mesoderm)
Gastrulation is a key process in embryonic development - it's how a simple ball of cells begins to grow into a fully functioning being! Watch this lesson to learn about a key process in the development of almost all multicellular organisms.
7. Prenatal Stages of Brain Development
The prenatal brain develops at an amazing speed. This lesson provides an overview of this brain development throughout the three trimesters of pregnancy and highlights key stages.
8. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
9. The Impact of Mother's Emotional and Physical State on the Prenatal Environment
An unborn child and its mother are connected both physically and emotionally. Learn how prenatal development is affected by both the emotional and physical state of the mother in this lesson.
10. Prenatal Genetic Counseling and Assessment
When expecting a baby, many couples are concerned with the possibility of something being wrong with the baby's health. In this lesson, we'll explore genetic counseling, including who should consider it and what to expect.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Span Developmental Psychology: Homework Help Resource course
- Domains of Human Development: Homework Help
- Life Span Development Research Methods: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Life Span Developmental Psychology Foundations
- How Genetics Impact Psychology: Homework Help
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics: Homework Help
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood: Homework Help
- Cognitive Development in Infants & Toddlers: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Early Childhood Physical & Cognitive Development
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood: Homework Help
- Homework Help Physical and Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood: Homework Help
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence: Homework Help
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Early Adulthood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood: Homework Help
- Middle Adulthood - Physical and Cognitive Development: Homework Help
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood: Homework Help
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood: Homework Help
- Late Adulthood Cognitive Development: Homework Help
- Death and Dying: Stages and Psychological Impact: Homework Help