About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other life span developmental psychology work.
- Identify the prenatal development concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our life span developmental psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn prenatal development concepts and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding prenatal stages or principles of development, the structures or functions of various prenatal systems, the factors that impact prenatal development, or any other prenatal development topics
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their prenatal development concepts unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in life span developmental psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning prenatal development concepts simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live developmental psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn prenatal development concepts on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the path of the oocyte through the uterine tubes.
- Become familiar with the prenatal stages of development.
- Understand the principles of growth and development.
- Learn about the structure and function of the placenta.
- Discuss the structures and functions of the umbilical cord and the amnion.
- Examine the three germ layers of the embryo.
- Take a look at the prenatal stages of brain development.
- Explore potential hazards to healthy prenatal development in the prenatal environment.
- Understand how the emotional and physical states of the mother affect the prenatal environment.
- Learn about prenatal genetic counseling and assessment.
1. Ovulation to Implantation: Oocyte's Path through Uterine Tubes
Follow the female's egg as it leaves the ovary and travels down the uterine tube on its way to the uterus - all with hopes of meeting up with a male's sperm along the way.
2. Prenatal Stages and Development: Germinal, Embryonic & Fetal Period
In the 9 months before a baby is born, there is an enormous amount of prenatal development. In this lesson, you will explore the following stages of prenatal development: the germinal period, the embryonic period, and the fetal period.
3. Principles of Growth and Development
Is there a pattern to how human growth and development takes place? This lesson will examine some universal principles of growth and development in order to help you find the answer to this question.
4. The Placenta and the Fetus: Structure and Function
Have you ever wondered how a baby eats before it's born or if babies go to the bathroom while still inside their mother? In this lesson, you will learn about the placenta and how it works to ensure a fetus stays well-nourished and healthy before birth.
5. The Amnion and the Umbilical Cord: Structure and Function
The prenatal environment is an important part of an embryo's development. Watch this lesson to find out more about the prenatal environment, including the importance of the amnion and umbilical cord and what they do.
6. Gastrulation and the 3 Germ Layers (Ectoderm, Endoderm & Mesoderm)
Gastrulation is a key process in embryonic development - it's how a simple ball of cells begins to grow into a fully functioning being! Watch this lesson to learn about a key process in the development of almost all multicellular organisms.
7. Prenatal Stages of Brain Development
The prenatal brain develops at an amazing speed. This lesson provides an overview of this brain development throughout the three trimesters of pregnancy and highlights key stages.
8. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
9. The Impact of Mother's Emotional and Physical State on the Prenatal Environment
An unborn child and its mother are connected both physically and emotionally. Learn how prenatal development is affected by both the emotional and physical state of the mother in this lesson.
10. Prenatal Genetic Counseling and Assessment
When expecting a baby, many couples are concerned with the possibility of something being wrong with the baby's health. In this lesson, we'll explore genetic counseling, including who should consider it and what to expect.
11. What is the Umbilical Cord? - Definition & Function
The umbilical cord is a tube-like structure that connects a fetus to the mother's placenta, providing oxygen and nutrient-rich blood and removing waste. We will look closely at its structure and function, some potential problems that can occur, and the practice of cord blood storage after birth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Span Developmental Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Domains of Human Development: Tutoring Solution
- Life Span Development Research Methods: Tutoring Solution
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Foundations: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics in Development & Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood: Tutoring Solution
- Infant Cognitive & Psychosocial Development: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical & Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Middle Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood: Tutoring Solution
- Late Adulthood Psychosocial & Cognitive Development: Tutoring Solution
- Death and Dying - Stages and Psychological Impact: Tutoring Solution