About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Sequences and Series chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the sequences and series topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How to find and classify an arithmetic sequence
- The sum of the first n terms in an arithmetic sequence
- Methods for working with geometric sequences
- How and why to use the general term of a geometric sequence
- The sum of the first n terms of a geometric sequence
- The formula for infinite geometric series
- How to use Riemann sums for functions and graphs
Prentice Hall Algebra 2 is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
2. Using Recursive Rules for Arithmetic, Algebraic & Geometric Sequences
When dealing with sequences in math, both algebraic and geometric, we come across recursive rules. Watch this video lesson to learn how recursion works and how you can use a recursive rule to get to your next number using a previous number.
3. Arithmetic Sequences: Definition & Finding the Common Difference
Watch this video lesson to learn the pattern that defines an arithmetic sequence. Learn how to identify arithmetic sequences as well as find the pattern easily. You will also learn the formula you can use to write any number in your sequence.
4. How and Why to Use the General Term of an Arithmetic Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence. Also learn why this formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence much easier.
5. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
6. The Sum of the First n Terms of an Arithmetic Sequence
In this video lesson, you will learn an easy to use formula for summing an arithmetic sequence. Watch as we use the formula in action and then get a chance to use it yourself as you follow along.
7. How and Why to Use the General Term of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence. You will learn how to write your own general term given a particular geometric sequence as well as the reason for doing this.
8. Working with Geometric Sequences
In this video lesson, we'll learn how to recognize when a sequence of numbers is a geometric sequence, how to find the common ratio and how to expand a sequence to as many numbers as we want!
9. The Sum of the First n Terms of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the total of a geometric sequence up to a certain point. Learn the formula that you can use to help you find your answer.
10. Understanding Arithmetic Series in Algebra
In this video lesson, we will learn about arithmetic series and how they work. Learn also how to find the pattern of an arithmetic sequence along with finding the sum.
11. Understand the Formula for Infinite Geometric Series
Watch this video lesson to learn how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series. Learn about the interesting thing that happens when your common ratio is less than one.
12. Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems
There are many different types of problems concerning series and sequences - including some that are pretty abstract. From bouncing balls to adding up odd numbers, test your skills here with additional arithmetic and geometric series practice!
13. How to Use Riemann Sums for Functions and Graphs
Find out how Riemann sums can be used to calculate multiple areas efficiently. In this lesson, you'll learn how this can come in handy for irregular areas and how you can put it to use.
14. How to Identify and Draw Left, Right and Middle Riemann Sums
To overestimate or underestimate? In this lesson, you will draw Riemann rectangles so the right side, left side or middle of the rectangle hits the curve.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Tools of Algebra
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Functions, Equations, and Graphs
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Linear Systems
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 4: Matrices
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Equations and Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 6: Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 7: Radical Functions and Rational Exponents
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Rational Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 10: Quadratic Relations and Conic Sections
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Probability and Statistics
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Periodic Functions and Trigonometry
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 14: Trigonometric Identities and Equations