About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Radical Functions and Rational Exponents chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the radical functions and rational exponents topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How to find the square root of a number
- Radicands and radical expressions
- Multiplication then simplification of radical expressions
- How to rationalize the denominator of a radical expression
- Rational exponents
- Solutions for radical equations
- Inverse functions
Prentice Hall Algebra 2 is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Radicands and Radical Expressions
It's easy to see that funky radical symbol and panic just a little bit. There are so many rules that go along with it, it's hard to keep up with them all. This lesson will help by describing what you should do when you are faced with a square root.
3. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
4. Dividing Radical Expressions
When dividing radical expressions, we use the quotient rule. This lesson will describe the quotient rule and how to use it to solve these radical expressions.
5. How to Rationalize the Denominator with a Radical Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn what you can do to simplify your expression when you have a radical in the denominator. Learn what the single step solution to your problem is.
6. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
7. Multiplying Radical Expressions with Two or More Terms
Multiplying radical expressions with more than two terms can be confusing. This lesson will take some of the confusion away by giving clear steps for multiplying these expressions. It will also provide some examples to help solidify the steps.
8. Rationalizing Denominators in Radical Expressions
Radical expressions containing denominators are not simplified completely unless the denominator is free of radical symbols. This lesson will teach you how to remove a radical from the denominator of a fraction through a process called rationalizing the denominator.
9. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
10. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
11. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
12. Solving Radical Equations with Two Radical Terms
Solving equations with two radical terms takes some patience and care, but it really is not difficult. This lesson will show you the steps to solve these more complicated equations plus give you some examples to follow.
13. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
14. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
15. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
16. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Tools of Algebra
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Functions, Equations, and Graphs
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Linear Systems
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 4: Matrices
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Equations and Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 6: Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Rational Functions
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 10: Quadratic Relations and Conic Sections
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 11: Sequences and Series
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Probability and Statistics
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Periodic Functions and Trigonometry
- Prentice Hall Algebra 2 Chapter 14: Trigonometric Identities and Equations