About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Geometry Surface Area and Volume chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the surface area and volume topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Planes and the polyhedron
- Cross sections of space figures
- Definitions and types of platonic solids
- Using Euler's theorem
- Definition, area and volume of prisms
- Definition, area and volume of cylinders
- Definition, area and volume of pyramids
- Definition, area and volume of cones
- Definition, area and volume of spheres
- Areas and volumes of similar solids
Prentice Hall Geometry is a registered trademark of Prentice Hall, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Planes and the Polyhedron: Definition and Example
Did you ever wonder what the pyramids in Egypt have to do with math? Watch this video to find out where in math a pyramid comes into play. Also, learn how flat, 2-dimensional shapes also come into play.
2. What Are Platonic Solids? - Definition and Types
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn that there are only five platonic solids in the whole world. You will also learn what they look like and see real-life examples.
3. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
4. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
5. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
6. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
7. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 1: Tools of Geometry
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proof
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 4: Congruent Triangles
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 5: Relationships Within Triangles
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 6: Quadrilaterals
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 7: Similarity
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 8: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 9: Transformations
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 10: Area
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 12: Circles