About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Prentice Hall Geometry Similarity chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the similarity topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Calculating ratios
- Defining the properties of proportions
- Writing similarity and proportionality statements
- Comparing and constructing similar polygons
- Identifying similar triangles
- Using the AA criterion to prove triangles are similar
- Proving triangles are similar with the transitive property
- Identifying properties and proportions of right triangles
- Using a geometric mean to solve problems
- Working with the triangle proportionality theorem
Prentice Hall Geometry is a registered trademark of Prentice Hall, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
3. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
4. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
5. The Transitive Property of Similar Triangles
Watch this video lesson and you will understand what the transitive property is and how it applies to similar triangles. Watch as we apply the transitive property to three similar triangles.
6. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
7. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 1: Tools of Geometry
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proof
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 4: Congruent Triangles
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 5: Relationships Within Triangles
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 6: Quadrilaterals
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 8: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 9: Transformations
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 10: Area
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 11: Surface Area and Volume
- Prentice Hall Geometry Chapter 12: Circles