About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Prentice Hall's Algebraic Expressions & Integers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the algebraic expression and integer topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Variables in algebra
- Algebraic expressions for representing relationships
- Order of operations
- Evaluating simple algebraic expressions
- Inductive and deductive reasoning
- Types of number
- Absolute value
- Point-plotting on coordinate planes
- Mathematical sequences
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
4. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
5. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
6. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
7. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
8. Inductive & Deductive Reasoning in Geometry: Definition & Uses
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn how important inductive and deductive reasoning is in the field of mathematics, especially when dealing with proofs in geometry. Learn how these two fundamental forms of reasoning give rise to formal theorems.
9. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
10. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving One-Step Equations & Equalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Decimals & Equations
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions & Exponents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Operation with Fractions
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratios, Proportions & Percents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Solving Equations & Inequalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions & Graphing
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Spatial Thinking
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Area & Volume
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Right Triangles in Algebra
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Data Analysis & Probability
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Nonlinear Functions & Polynomials