About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Right Triangles in Algebra chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the right triangles in algebra topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The process of calculating the square root of a number
- Irrational numbers
- The Pythagorean Theorem
- The distance formula
- The midpoint formula
- Similar triangles
- Special right triangles
- Trigonometric ratios
- Angles of depression and elevation
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
3. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
4. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
5. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
6. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
7. Practice Finding the Trigonometric Ratios
So you know what sine, cosine and tangent are. Great! But how do you use them? Find out how in this lesson as we find missing sides and angles using trigonometric ratios.
8. Angles of Elevation & Depression: Practice Problems
Angles of elevation and depression can be used to find unknown heights and distances. In this lesson, you can practice using angles of elevation and depression to solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Algebraic Expressions & Integers
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving One-Step Equations & Equalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Decimals & Equations
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions & Exponents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Operation with Fractions
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratios, Proportions & Percents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Solving Equations & Inequalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions & Graphing
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Spatial Thinking
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Area & Volume
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Data Analysis & Probability
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Nonlinear Functions & Polynomials