About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Prentice Hall's Solving One-Step Equations & Equalities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the equation and equalities topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the pre-algebra topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- The commutative and associative properties
- Distributive property
- Simplifying algebraic expressions
- True, false and open statements
- Solving equations with the addition and multiplication principles
- The guess, check and revise method
- Graphing one and two-variable inequalities
- Linear inequalities
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
2. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
3. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
4. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
5. Writing and Classifying True, False and Open Statements in Math
In math you need to be able to know whether a statement is true, false, or open. In this lesson, you'll learn how to classify and write true, false, or open statements.
6. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
7. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
8. Solving Problems With the Guess, Check & Revise Method
In this lesson, we will look at how to solve problems using the guess, check, and revise method in mathematics. Through examples, we will look at each step involved and see exactly how this process works.
9. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
10. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
11. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
12. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Algebraic Expressions & Integers
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Decimals & Equations
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions & Exponents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Operation with Fractions
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratios, Proportions & Percents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Solving Equations & Inequalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions & Graphing
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Spatial Thinking
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Area & Volume
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Right Triangles in Algebra
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Data Analysis & Probability
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Nonlinear Functions & Polynomials