About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Prentice Hall's Factors, Fractions & Exponents chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the topics on factors, fractions and exponents you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the pre-algebra topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Factoring in algebra
- The main exponent properties
- Raising and reducing fractions
- Prime factorization and the greatest common factor
- Scientific notation
- Simplifying complex problems
- Graphing rational numbers
- Division and multiplication with exponential expressions
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
2. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
3. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
4. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
5. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
6. How to Simplify Complex Math Problems
Math problems can look like something from a horror movie. They get complicated to the point of the ridiculous, and then what do you do? In this lesson, we'll learn how to tackle the meanest of them!
7. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
8. Multiplying Exponential Expressions
There are certain rules that govern working with exponential expressions. This lesson deals with the rule for multiplying exponential expressions. It will describe the rule and give some examples of how it works.
9. Dividing Exponential Expressions
Any time you work with expressions that contain exponents, you have to follow a specific set of rules that are not the same as when you are working with expressions that do not contain exponents. This lesson will describe the rules associated with dividing terms that contain exponents.
10. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Algebraic Expressions & Integers
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving One-Step Equations & Equalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Decimals & Equations
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Operation with Fractions
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratios, Proportions & Percents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Solving Equations & Inequalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions & Graphing
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Spatial Thinking
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Area & Volume
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Right Triangles in Algebra
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Data Analysis & Probability
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Nonlinear Functions & Polynomials