About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Solving Equations & Inequalities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the equations and inequalities topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The process of solving equations in multiple steps
- Solving algebraic equations in word problems by using multiple steps
- Solving equations that include decimals and fractions
- The process for writing linear equations
- The combining of like terms when working with algebraic expressions
- Solving two-variable inequalities
- Linear equations that have literal coefficients
- The processes for calculating interest problems
- Compounding interest formulas
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
2. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
3. How to Solve Multi-Step Equations with Fractions & Decimals
Fractions and decimals can definitely be annoying when you're trying to solve multi-step equations. In this lesson, we'll figure out how to get them out of the way, allowing us to solve the equations more easily.
4. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
5. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
6. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
7. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
8. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest is a great way to have your money work for you. In this lesson, find out the formula for calculating compound interest and practice using the formula with several examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Algebraic Expressions & Integers
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving One-Step Equations & Equalities
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Decimals & Equations
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions & Exponents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Operation with Fractions
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratios, Proportions & Percents
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions & Graphing
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Spatial Thinking
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Area & Volume
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Right Triangles in Algebra
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Data Analysis & Probability
- Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Nonlinear Functions & Polynomials