About This Chapter
Preparing for Parenthood - Chapter Summary
From contraception to deciding to have children, this chapter is designed to address various issues and practices related to family planning. You'll review factors that shape family planning decisions, what should be considered with contemplating starting a family and issues that need to be regarded when planning a pregnancy. Birth control methods, abortion, infertility and miscarriage are also explored in this chapter. Once you complete your review of these lessons, you should be able to:
- List points to be considered when making the decision to have children
- Define family planning and explain social and cultural factors that have an impact on this practice
- Note key safety and other issues that should be considered when planning a pregnancy
- Discuss symptoms of conception
- Describe barrier and hormonal methods of contraception
- Share information about male and female sterilization procedures
- Provide details about abortion and miscarriage
- Explain causes of and treatment for infertility
Create your own flexible study schedule with 24/7 accessibility from any device. Instructors can be reached with any lesson-specific questions via a short online contact form. Measure what you have retained from each lesson by completing brief self-assessment quizzes.
1. Making the Decision to Have Children
In this lesson, I face one of my greatest fears: talking about having kids. We'll look at some points to consider, such as the costs and the way it changes a person's life. In addition, the idea of baby fever is also looked at.
2. Family Planning: Definition, Programs & Efficacy
Family planning is becoming more and more of a modern priority both here in the United States and around the world. In this lesson, you'll explore the idea of family planning and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Social & Cultural Factors That Impact Family Planning
Many different factors can influence how people make decisions about growing their families. This lesson discusses some of the most prominent social and cultural factors that come into play.
4. Key Issues When Planning A Pregnancy
When planning a pregnancy, important things must be considered to ensure maximum safety of both mother and child. This includes taking an assessment of your medications, supplements, medical conditions, and habits.
5. What is Conception? - Definition, Ovulation & Symptoms
Reproduction is necessary for the perpetuation of a species, including humans. This video lesson explains conception and ovulation as well as their roles in reproduction. Symptoms of conception will also be briefly discussed.
6. Barrier Methods of Contraceptives: Types, Advantages & Disadvantages
While you are probably all familiar with what a condom is, did you know there are a lot of other options out there for preventing pregnancy? Learn about some of the barrier methods of contraception in this lesson.
7. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Introduction and Birth Control Pills
We have all heard of the birth control pill, right? And many of you women out there probably take some form of birth control. But do you really understand how it works or what the different options are? Learn about the basics of hormonal contraceptives in this lesson.
8. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Patch, Ring, and Implants
Did you know there are many forms of contraception out there, and not just condoms and birth control pills? Learn about some of the other options in this lesson on hormone-based contraceptives.
9. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Injections and IUDs
Did you know there are some methods of birth control that last up to five years! Or, if that is too long, some that last three months at a time? Learn about these two options in this lesson on contraceptive injections and IUDs.
10. Female Sterilization Procedures: Tubal Ligation and Tubal Occlusion
So, you and your spouse have reached that point in life where you are done having kids. What now? In this lesson, you will learn about some of the methods of permanent female sterilization available to women who have decided not to have any more children.
11. Vasectomy: Purpose, Advantages & Disadvantages
You may have heard of a guy 'getting snipped,' a procedure otherwise known as a vasectomy. What this entails may be simpler than you think. Learn about the procedure, effects and reversal options in this lesson on the vasectomy.
12. Abortion and Miscarriage: Methods and Causes
This lesson will teach you whether exercise can cause a miscarriage, what the major cause of miscarriage is, and what the two major classes of abortion are.
13. Infertility: Causes and Potential Options
Trouble having a baby may be a result of a woman or man's reproductive problems. This lesson discusses some common and important ones as well as the general treatment strategies employed to combat them.
14. Treatment for Infertility
There are quite a few different kinds of treatment options for both men and women. They include drugs, surgery, hormone therapy, and more advanced techniques this lesson will describe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards