About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering preparing job applications will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about preparing job applications. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding responding to different types of job ads, writing cover letters, preparing for interviews, and preparing job applications
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about preparing job applications
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the chapter exam on preparing job applications.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the chapter exam on preparing job applications to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on preparing job applications. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a unit on preparing job applications in a standard business course. Topics covered include:
- Revising a resume in response to print and online job postings
- Developing an effective cover letter
- Common mistakes made by job applicants
- Job interview tips and techniques
- Common job interview challenges
1. Tailoring the Content of Your Resume for a Job
A job applicant should be knowledgeable of how to tailor the content of their resume for a specific job. A custom, detailed, directed resume offers the best chance of acquiring an interview.
2. The Cover Letter: Importance, Details & Format
The cover letter is a necessity when applying for a job. There is a basic format that you can follow consisting of a salutation, three paragraphs and a close that can be used to get a potential employer's attention.
3. How to Avoid Common Job Application Mistakes
Applying for jobs can be a stressful time but knowing the common mistakes that people make during the application process can help lessen the stress. In this lesson, we'll look at common mistakes people make before and during a job interview.
4. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
5. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
6. How to Pass a Job Assessment Test
Improve your chances of passing job assessment tests with this article. Learn how to prepare for these assessments and find out more about why these types of evaluations are used in today's workplace.
7. How to Ace a Phone Interview
Check out helpful tips for successfully handling phone interviews with this article. Learn how to prepare, and find out how you can make the most of your interaction with the interviewer.
8. How to Ace the Physician Assistant School Interview
Admission into physician assistant programs is competitive and usually entails an interview. Check out information and resources that prepare you to ace your physician assistant school interview.
9. How to Ace a Group Interview
Get ready to master group interviews by checking out this article. You can find tips on what to do before and during the interview to ensure you put your best foot forward.
10. How to Ace a Sales Interview
Are you preparing for an important sales interview? We have you covered. Read on for strategies, tips, and advice, along with the prep tools available to help you ace it.
11. How to Ace a Second Interview
Learn how to master second interviews with this article. Find out what to expect in a second interview and learn more about the kinds of questions you should be asking during these interviews.
12. How to Ace a Panel Interview
You can learn how to master a panel interview with this article. Get helpful tips on preparing, handling the interview itself and following up to ensure you make a great impression.
13. How to Ace a College Interview
Interviewing for college can be a daunting process. Fortunately, there are some great tips available to help you prepare so that you have the best chance for success. Read on to learn more about how to best handle your college interview.
14. How to Ace an Internal Interview
Get ready to knock internal interviews out of the park with this article. Find out how to prepare and what to keep in mind during the interview itself to give yourself the best chance of success.
15. How to Ace a Nursing Interview
There are many aspects to doing well in a job interview. Read on to learn about the different types of interviews and ways you can be successful in your nursing interview.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Communications: Help & Review course
- Business Communication Framework
- Spoken & Written Messages
- Preparing Written Messages
- Communicating Electronically
- Delivering Good & Neutral Tone Messages
- Delivering Bad News Messages
- Delivering Persuasive Messages
- Reporting Process & Research Methods of Business Communication
- Managing Data & Using Graphs in Business Communications
- Organizing & Preparing Reports & Proposals
- Designing & Delivering Business Presentations
- Management Theory
- Organization in Business Management
- Motivation & Management Theories in Business
- Decision Making & Problem Solving Strategies
- Principles of Change Management
- Control as a Function of Management
- Basic Financial Statements
- Inventory Cost & Valuation
- Fundamentals of Microeconomics
- Online Privacy & Security
- Understanding Enterprise Business Systems