About This Chapter
Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy - Chapter Summary
If you need to quickly review the basics of pressure, fluid flow and buoyancy, you're in the right place. This convenient online chapter contains engaging and simple video lessons that cover pressure conversions, buoyancy calculations, the Venturi effect and other related principles. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize pressure units
- Make hydrostatic pressure calculations
- Use Archimedes' principle to calculate force and density
- Explain Pascal's principle and Bernoulli's principle
- Describe the Venturi effect
The chapter's flexible online format allows you to study at any time that fits your schedule. Following each lesson is a short quiz to help you reinforce your understanding of key terms and concepts. Take the chapter exam to make sure you fully understand the material, and submit questions to our instructors if you have any.
1. Pressure: Definition, Units, and Conversions
Have you ever wondered what pressure is and how it gets measured? In this lesson, we are going to define pressure and explain some of the units that are used to express measurements of pressure.
2. Hydrostatic Pressure: Definition, Equation, and Calculations
This video lesson will introduce you to hydrostatic pressure in a liquid, as well as provide examples for how to calculate the liquid's pressure at a given depth.
3. Buoyancy: Calculating Force and Density with Archimedes' Principle
Knowledge of the buoyant force is important when trying to understand why some objects float while other objects sink. In this lesson you'll learn about this unique force and how we apply it to various situations using Archimedes' Principle.
4. Bernoulli's Principle: Definition and Examples
Understanding how a moving fluid's speed and pressure change as it flows along is not only important for building airplanes but also for backyard fun. In this video lesson you'll learn about Bernoulli's principle and identify some practical applications of this concept.
5. What is Pascal's Principle?
Feeling pressured to learn about Pascal's principle? Then you came to the right place. Pascal's principle states that a change in pressure at any point in an enclosed fluid is transmitted equally throughout that fluid. See examples and learn more.
6. The Venturi Effect and Blood Flow
Blood flows through the body in a specific way, and in general, we want that to continue happening. So, understanding the Venturi effect is important. We will examine how, where, and why this occurs in the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards