About This Chapter
Preventative Health & Wellness - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers lessons designed to help you learn more about preventative health and wellness. Examine stress, exercise and diet along with their direct relationships with our personal wellness. Also, explore theories and strategies individuals can use to detect and prevent disease and injury. After reviewing these lessons, you will be able to:
- Share ways to maintain wellness throughout the lifespan
- Discuss lifestyle choices, personal wellness and Maslow's hierarchy of needs
- Identify early warning signs of disease, and discuss early detection
- Explain how diet and exercise affect health and chronic conditions
- Demonstrate your knowledge of social issues in health care and disease prevention
- Showcase your understanding of how to manage risk to enhance and maintain health
- Identify the benefits of regular physical activity
- Differentiate between the abuse and misuse of drugs
- Detail the role of body mechanics in injury prevention
Resources in this chapter allow you to enhance your comprehension of preventative health and wellness on your own terms. Access the lessons from your computer, smartphone or tablet any time and in any sequence. Test your knowledge of the lessons by taking multiple-choice quizzes with printable worksheets. Get a more comprehensive review of the lessons by taking the practice chapter exam. If you need additional information about the lessons, submit your questions to our experts.
1. Maintaining Wellness Throughout the Lifespan
What does it mean to be well? How can we maintain wellness throughout the lifespan? This lesson will discuss wellness and will introduce different ways to maintain it throughout the lifespan.
2. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
3. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: Definition, Theory & Pyramid
Why is it that when some of our needs aren't met, it's almost impossible to concentrate on other ones? Psychologist Abraham Maslow spent his career looking for these answers. Watch this lesson to learn about some of his most important conclusions.
4. Disease Warning Signs & Early Detection
In this lesson we'll go over the common types of diseases found in human populations, like infectious diseases, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. We'll discuss the warning signs for these diseases and the benefits of early detection.
5. How Diet and Exercise Affect Health and Chronic Conditions
Here we will discuss how the elements of diet and exercise can reduce the risk or the severity of a chronic condition or disease. We look specifically at diet and how it can be great, good, okay or terrible. Exercise can be excessive, incorrect, correct or absent.
6. Social Issues in Health Care & Disease Prevention
This lesson will discuss different health-related social issues, including the impact of religious beliefs on health care decisions, childhood vaccinations, organ donation, and end of life care.
7. Managing Risk to Enhance & Maintain Your Health
This lesson will provide a brief overview of risk management and risk assessment to determine ways to reduce health risks and enhance and maintain health. This lesson will also help you recognize the benefits of and procedures for developing personal plans for maintaining and enhancing health.
8. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
9. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
10. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
11. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
12. The Role of Body Mechanics in Injury Prevention
Do you know what body mechanics are and how proper body mechanics can prevent injury? In this lesson you will learn how you can prevent unnecessary injury by practicing some simple techniques.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Health Science for Teachers: Help & Review course
- Health Care History, Trends & Impact
- Math Applications in Health Care Science
- Physical Sciences in Health Care
- Basics of Health Science Research
- Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols
- Formation of Medical Terms
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Digestive & Excretory Systems of the Human Body
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Human Nervous, Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
- Biological Development in Psychology
- Microbiology in Health Science
- Pathogens & Disease
- Disease Causes, Control & Prevention
- Public & World Health Issues
- Aging, Health & Family Issues in Society
- Nutritional Information & Needs
- Issues & Disorders Related to Nutrition
- Therapeutic Concepts of Nutrition
- Pharmacological Concepts & Technology
- Mental Health Concepts
- Medical Technology & Patient Care
- Health Care Safety Policies & Procedures
- Communication in Health Care
- Teamwork in the Workplace
- Health Care Education & Career Guidance
- Health Care Legal & Ethical Responsibilities